Sunday, November 30, 2014

Dreams of Gods & Monsters by Laini Taylor

The third and final book in the Daughter of Smoke & Bone trilogy, is finally here. I will say this now and I will say it again in the end, if you haven't read this trilogy you should. I highly recommend it no, I more than recommend it. I would love to know if you have read these books and how you feel about them as well! I do have a review up of the second book Days of Blood & Starlight along with the first book, which is linked in the second book review.

In this final installment, two world are very close to war. Karou has commandeered the chimaera's rebellion, through some crafty deception. She is intending on steering their course away from an all consuming vengeance, and the future rests with her. Though reunited, Karou and Avika are not yet to their peaceful ending. Jael has brought his army to the human world and they have to form an alliance against Jael. Who is the enemy, the common ground between chimaera and Misbegotten. Hoping for a semi-good version of their long-ago dream, they try to forge a way forward for both of their people. Hopefully for themselves as well. With even bigger threats on the horizon, are Karou and Avika strong enough to stand among the gods and the monsters?

Remember those feelings you get when you finished a book or even a series? That sense of bittersweetness, you have reached the end but it's an ending you wanted to go on forever just because of how good it was? Yeah, I'm there right now. I am going through withdrawals already, and I don't like it one bit. This book was long awaited for many readers, and I feel that the wait was worth it. I love Zuze even more and Mik has grown considerably on me since the last book. I completely ship Karou and Avika, I think Karou is a beautiful character and I think she would be a great friend to have. She as a character has come a long way, and she has really grown and developed through it all in the end. Avika balances her, as Karou does him, and for them to finally be able to really connect with each other in this book is very satisfying as a reader. The tension between the two was unbearable on paper and even more so in my head, and it was great to get away from the sexual tension in most other books. Their tension was just wanting to be able to be together without too much worry of the outside world and the possible impending doom. It was just a longing that was so vast, because they have tried and tried and tried again. I also loved how a bigger background story was brought into play and wrapped up in a way. Along with this back story we got introduced to a beautiful woman Eliza. We are given some information about her some, very big and other info that isn't too big but nonetheless important. We also get to know-very little thankfully- about a Morgan Toth. And boy do I love to hate him. As far as endings go, I was very pleased with this one. There was one little item that kept getting mentioned, if you caught it early you may have recognized the significance of it in the end. There is so much more to this book compared to what I have typed here. Really if you haven't read this trilogy you should.

I was only disappointed in a couple of things. One being how little action there was in it, and I know I am not alone in this. I understand the need for peace and wanting as few beings to get hurt as possible. Especially with as much unnecessary slaughter that has taken place in the recent past and further back. I will take the battles that did happen, because the loses (though significant in their own way) weren't that detrimental to me and others. But to be quite honest I don't really think that things would have went as "smoothly" as they did. I am still very sadden that Brimstone is not around and hasn't been, but I get a feeling that if he were Karou wouldn't have been able to develop as she had. Though I will say I am very happy with the ultimate demise with one character in particular, and who dealt the beating as well 'cause she deserved to do it. The other thing I take issue with is the sheer fact that this trilogy has come to an end. I only own the second book! I sincerely hope that Mrs. Taylor writes a novella or carries on more with Zuze and Mik because I know that Karou and Avika will still be around. Maybe even other Misbegotten or chimaera pairs.

Unfortunately all good things must come to an end. That also includes this trilogy, thankfully there is the option to reread books which is what I will be doing. I recommend this book to young readers, "old" readers, everyone in between, basically everyone. I know everyone won't like it but I still think it should be given a chance. I didn't think I would like it in the beginning either, but here I am getting the finished book blues over it, which does not happen often. It's a different type of angel story. As I said before I do own the second book but I cannot wait until I have the other two in my possession. It's not often that I find a book series, or in this case a trilogy, that I feel I can read over and over without getting tired of.

Rating: 4.8 out of 5.
Just in case it needs clarification, the only thing stopping me in giving Dreams of Gods & Monsters a perfect 5, is how little fighting there was.

Page Count: 613 pages (hardcover), this book is a monster but a good one!

Price: $19

Next Book: Command Me by Geneva Lee

Thanks for reading!
~Jade

No comments:

Post a Comment