Saturday, June 21, 2014

Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl

This is the first book in the Beautiful Creatures series. I will try my best to do reviews of the other books but my library never has them on the shelf. I will not be comparing the book to the movie in this review, if requested I will in a separate blog post. I hope you enjoy.

Cursed for generations, Lena Duchannes sticks out like a sore thumb in Gatlin. She's trying to conceal her powers, but secrets are hard to keep in this little town. Ethan Wate, cannot wait to get out of Gatlin. He is also haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl, and is slightly disturbed when Lena moves into town, and into the old infamous plantation. He is drawn turn to her and doesn't know why, so he plans on figuring out. One secret could change everything for the little town of Gatlin.

Once again I missed out the whole craze when Beautiful Creatures came around. Boy, am I kicking myself now. I hated to be doing any work because this book drew me in, captivated me, and held on. I loved every page of Beautiful Creatures. I was expecting for the size of it, that I would find wordy parts or parts that held no relevance to the book, but I didn't. It was a really nice change of POV's because the reviews previous to this have been dominated by female POV's. This, however is from Ethan's and he is a exceptional main character. The back story to him and everyone else is amazing and it flows perfectly with the plot. I was left wondering about things but they were questions that got answered in a timely manner. I didn't find myself knowing things before they happened, but understanding why they were going to happen, and it didn't upset me. I think I would have been more upset if I knew what was going to happen and didn't understand why. I laughed a lot which was really great, because the book does get serious in a few places. The supernatural aspect of Beautiful Creatures adds a lot to the story and spices things up.

I really don't have anything to complain about. I didn't find any wordy parts or unnecessary parts, like I stated before. I was very happy with the book over all and loved it. It was a great change of view and I loved that the romance in it was very sweet and innocent. I would love to own this book, and I really hope that the other books continue to be as good. I really recommend this book to others, the size may push you away but it is really worth it. For being a 'teen' book, I think adults could enjoy the book as well. I know this was a little different from previous reviews but I didn't have anything I didn't like about Beautiful Creatures.

Rating: 5 out of 5.

Page Count: 563 pages (hardcover)

Price: $17.99

Next Book: Arclight by Josin L. McQuein

Thank you for reading!
~Jade

No comments:

Post a Comment