Monday, June 23, 2014

Arclight by Josin L. McQuein

First book in the Arclight series, there is a second book to come out this month called Meridian. It could quite possibly already be out by time you read this. I will do my best to get my hands on the second book and review it. This is McQuein's first book, and for it being her first I think she did very well. McQuein does have another book out that does not go along with Arclight called Premeditated.

In this dystopian world three things make up your little world. The Arclight, the Grey, and the Dark. The Arclight means safety and survival, the Grey is between the Arclight and the Dark. The Dark is filled with the Fade. No one goes into the Grey, but a girl was found there. How did she get there? How did she survive? More importantly, is she safe? No one comes back from the Dark or the Grey. No one.

If I thought I devoured Beautiful Creatures, I really inhaled Arclight. Once I began I couldn't stop reading. I had to read the next page, then the next chapter, and then I found myself done. McQuein did an amazing job drawing me in and holding on to my attention. I didn't find wordy parts, which I was so thankful for. I haven't read too many dystopian based books but I really enjoyed Arclight. Marina and Tobin from the start captivated me and I had to know what happened with them. I am in love with the idea of the Fade, what they are and how they came to be. There were a lot of little twists that, if reading too quickly you might pass up and not see coming. There is a bit of romance in the air, but nothing can really happen when the fate of what little humans are left on Earth, are at stake because of the Fade. I laughed in a few spots and I didn't think I would with this being a slightly more serious book. I love the backstory to just about everything, and I can't wait to read the next book.

Arclight was incredibly fast paced, there was almost no time to stop and think over what had just happened to Marina or some of the other characters. This was not something I enjoyed too much because it just didn't seem to work with the story (for me). I would have liked some down time, not too much, but a little. Something that confused me was that I wasn't sure if the Arclight was a simple multi-floored building, or a series of buildings put together. I could have easily skipped where it was defined, because I did read this book really quickly.

Though I did have a few discrepancies with Arclight I overall enjoyed it a lot. I really hope a few of my confusions will be cleared up in the next book. Once again for being a 'teen' book I really think that adults could enjoy Arclight. I recommend it to everyone and I hope to one day have this book on one of my bookshelves. I can honestly see myself rereading this book a number of times because it is that good.

Rating: 5 out of 5.

Page Count: 403 pages (hardcover).

Price: ???

Next Book: Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Thank you for reading!
~Jade

No comments:

Post a Comment