Saturday, January 31, 2015

Fade by Lisa McMann

Second book in the Wake trilogy, I do have the first book Wake reviewed and it is linked. I will have the third book reviewed soon. I made darn sure to check out both books this time instead of one at a time. Gone won't be next, but it will be after the next book review. If you are interested keep on the look out for it, or just wait until I link it back in this review.

Things haven't changed, yet. Janie and Cabel still have a secret relationship and trying to find time for themselves is near impossible. With little clues, something very wrong is happening at Fieldridge High, but no one is speaking up about it. It isn't until Janie enters a classmates dream that things begin to open up. Nothing goes as planned, nothing is easy. Janie has a lot on her plate, and Cable is no help. His behavior ends up getting them both in trouble. It's one hit after another for Janie, she learns the truth about her ability, and it's not the greatest. Her fate is all but sealed as a dream catcher, but what's to come is what could break a person.

Oh the feels, oh so many feels with Fade. This was just as good as the first, and I have high hopes for the third and final book. There was just as much excitement, and drama as the first, only I would say there is more emotion this time around. You're heart can't help but go out to Janie, and everything that she is going through. I'm grateful that she has Cable, but there is more growing that needs to be done mentally and emotionally for them both. I love the fact that I was glued to the book from page one. I had to finish it once I started, things got in the way of that but I was grabbing Fade every chance I got. I was most definitely kept interested throughout the book. I loved the plot and how we got to see Janie go undercover and deal with a problem. I'd say that Janie grows some in Fade she begins to see that she has to be a big girl about her life and not about another's life. She really has to start thinking about her own life and what is going to happen. I love Captain, she's like the tough mother that both Cable and Janie need. Captain is for sure on my top five favorite characters.

I was a little disappointed in a few things. They were minor and shouldn't pose a problem, but I was hoping for one of them not to happen. I know I have mentioned this before. I've noticed that with second books if the two main characters are love interests, this reoccurring theme almost always happens. *SPOILER-ALERT* After the bust goes down and Janie does her job, Cable pretty much breaks up with her. This is more at the end of the book, but it happened nonetheless. *SPOILER-ENDED* I was hoping that McMann would stay away from this, but I understand. Cable's reasoning for this though, had me wanting to bang my head against the wall. I understand with his father being majorly abusive, but still Janie? Janie wouldn't be like that. Also, there was a huge predictable spot in the book, as to the drawback to being a dream catcher. I saw that coming from the very beginning. I think a lot of people also did too. I wouldn't say that it ruined the book for me because there was so much more going on in the book.

Without really intending to, I have been reading books lately that need a sort of trigger warning. Fade is one of them, but it is still a very clean book. There is talk of rape, a number of times throughout the book. It goes with the plot, and the undercover work that Janie has to do. There is nothing graphic, and there are no details. There is also talk of being drugged. This next one is more of a warning for parents. There is talk of sex, once again, not graphic and not detailed. It is hinted toward. If you think you can handle mentions, and hints, then you can handle reading Fade. I guess I will do this more often if I see a need to put a trigger warning on a book.

I recommend this book and the previous Wake to everyone, young and "old". I would love to own this book. I don't see a problem with younger people reading, I don't think the topics in this would be anything that they can't handle. Obviously if a parent hasn't had a few talks with them they may be curious as to what is going on. For a young adult book, I loved it. Even with the predictable parts I wanted to keep reading. It was just a little bump in the road. I just wish that this were a longer book, along with the first. I would most definitely reread Fade again.
 
Rating: 5 out of 5.

Page Count: 248 pages (hardcover)

Price: ???

Next Book: I Kissed a Zombie and I Liked It by Adam Selzer
 
Thanks for reading!
~Jade

No comments:

Post a Comment