Saturday, January 10, 2015

Scarlet by Marissa Meyer

Second book in the Lunar Chronicles, I do have the first book Cinder reviewed and it is linked as well. Like the last book, Scarlet is a spinoff, only this time of Little Red Riding Hood. The next book is Cress. The fourth book Winter comes out late this year. There is a short story that goes along with this series, called Glitches. You can get free on Amazon for your Kindle. There are a few other books and short stories that go along with the series, one other is also free.

Cinder has returned for the second book. She's trying to escape from prison and if she succeeds she will become the most wanted person in Commonwealth. Then halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit's grandmother has gone missing. She meets Wolf, a street fighter, who may or may not have information about her grandmother. As much as Scarlet doesn't want to trust him, she is drawn to him and he to her. The two of them begin to decipher a mystery, and they come up against yet another when they meet up with Cinder. Together they must try and stay one step ahead of Queen Levana. The one who rules Lunar and is meaner than mean and will do anything to get Prince Kai to become her prisoner....I mean king...

For a YA novel I really think adults and "older" people could enjoy this read. I'm really glad that Cinder was still a main character in this book, along with Scarlet and a few others. So far my list of people that I like is growing, most of the new characters introduced in Scarlet I came to enjoy. Captain Thorne is the comic relief that we need from time to time with his whit and I like that about him. I found Wolf to be very endearing, because I knew he wanted to do good but just had a rough start to life. Along with a few things that where out of his control, but he didn't let that deter him, especially after he met Scarlet. I wasn't too sure how both Cinder and Scarlet where going to be able to coexist in this book together, but their plot lines came together nicely. Meyer did a great job with the two. I didn't have one problem with the action in this book, it started earlier and lasted long enough for me. I find it fascinating that in just a short amount of time I read two separate books both with a bad guy named Jael. I wonder if I will find a book where he is the hero of sorts? Once again as in Cinder, you can see the parallels between Little Red Riding Hood and Scarlet. I am wondering how Cinder and Kai's relationship is going to pan out though, or if it does. I also liked that Levana's character is continuing to be unraveled slowly and in a way that is keeping me interested. Along with that we as a reader are learning some very interesting things that are going on on Lunar. I hope that Meyer will divulge more on what is going on on Lunar.

Honestly, I don't have anything to rant about that I didn't like. As I said before whereas I have had problems with when the action starts in a book, I didn't have it for Scarlet. The spoiler that is marked ahead, if you have read Scarlet, then it shouldn't be a spoil for you. *SPOILER-ALERT* I have seen a theme from the first book to the second one, where someone dies. In the first book it was Peony, and then there is grandmother in this one. And quite possibly a second yet to be confirmed or revealed as a hoax. I wonder who is next, I wonder if someone will perish in Cress? *SPOILER-ENDED*

As of now, I recommend this book and the previous to anyone and everyone. Not just young adults. I would even say that an advanced reader in middle school could conquer this book. There isn't anything that I would say is something that a parent may take offense with. Even with the bloodier descriptions, they could have been a lot worse, and I guarantee that you see worse in movies. I hope I continue to be happy with this series and if I am not you will know. I would reread this book and I do want to own it. If you haven't read these books yet, I say go for it!

Rating: 5 out of 5.

Page Count: 454 pages (hardcover)

Price: $17.99

Next Book: Trinity-The Prophecy by Kylie Price

Thank you for reading and I hope that everyone has a great 2015!
~Jade

No comments:

Post a Comment