Sunday, July 19, 2015

Texts From Jane Eyre and Other Conversations with Your Favorite Literary Characters by Mallory Ortberg

Back in high school I remember my 11th grade literature teacher reading this hilarious book based off of Facebook statuses from characters in Hamlet and others. I loved every bit of it and I wish I could get my hands on that book. I was more than excited when I saw that I had won an ARC from a Goodreads first reads giveaway* almost a year ago. This is going to be a shorter review as well.



As the title says, there are text messages from Jane Eyre, Edgar Allen Poe, Gone With the Wind, Shakespeare, and many more. Can you even begin to fathom what some of these characters would text about? Ortberg gives you a glimpse into some of the shenanigans that they could come up with.

I laughed a lot. I hoped that I would, and I did. I was extremely happy with this. I have picked up books like this one and expected just as much and have been let down. This book is a hoot from beginning to end, if a bit naughty at time. I found that I recognized quite a bit of the people and stories mentioned, either from reading them myself, in high school, or just hearing about them from other people. I especially loved Edgar Allen Poe's and Hamlet's texts, they had me rolling in laughter.

I did find that if I didn't know the story or understand the context I wouldn't understand the humor in the texts. For example I have never read Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier, whereas I found parts of the texts humorous, there were parts where I didn't laugh and was trying to figure out what was being talked about. There are other stories where I had the same problem, but I find that if you don't do like I did and try to read too much into it you can get a laugh anyways.

Either way around I found that I very much enjoyed reading Texts from Jane Eyre, and I would most definitely read it again. I am tempted to read a number of the books mentioned because if they are half as entertaining as these texts, I think I will enjoy them. I do highly recommend this book to everyone, like I said there are a few naughty spots but I don't think anything more that a teenager wouldn't hear in school is presented.

Rating: 5 out of 5.

Price: $23 though this could be less (paperback)

Page Count: 226 pages

Next: Nightlife by Rob Thurman

Thanks for reading!
~Jade


*Note: Yes, I did receive this from a Goodreads giveaway. No, I am not being paid or sponsored to review the book. Yes, these are my heartfelt opinions. If you didn't know I received this book late last year and I am just now review it. If I didn't like the book I would say. Have a concern? Email me and we can talk through it.

I would like to add this in, I'm sorry if reviews are scarce. I am working and taking 3 classes this summer. Reading isn't something I have much time for at the moment, but I read every chance I get and when I shouldn't be. However, I will still be putting reviews up when I can. Just hang in there with me I promise it won't always be like this :)

No comments:

Post a Comment