Saturday, October 3, 2015

Peeps by Scott Westerfeld

Most people know Westerfeld for his Uglies series, he does have quite a number of books published, Peeps also being one of them. As far as I can tell there is only two books that belong with the duology and no talk of a third. The second book doesn't follow the same characters as this first book but most do see it as the second book. Peeps was published back in 2005, right around the same time as Uglies. I have tried to read that series however, I could never get into it. I'll keep trying but don't expect anything any time soon.



A one night stand changes everything for Cal. The woman is mysterious and a carrier of a parasite. On the bright side Cal also becomes a carrier, on the downside he's given it to all of his ex-girlfriends. They've become Peeps, known more to the common folks as vampires. It's now up to Cal to track them down and stop them from killing or making more peeps. Thankfully with being a carrier you get all the extra strength, better vision and senses that the peeps do too. Cal's definitely going to need it with all the coming trouble.

I don't have very many likes for Peeps. I tried really hard to find more things but in the end I was more disappointed than anything. The first thing that I liked was the biology lessons. They made me laugh reading them, sadly enough  my nerd was showing and I understood everything that was going on. My favorite was the "Trematodes" chapter, that one had me cracking up (my sense of humor is weird, I know believe me I know). Also I laughed throughout the book, not just with the biology lessons and that helped my rating from being shit for this book. I loved most the different take on vampires or the peeps. I was kept interested the most by that, but eventually I realized that nothing special was going to happen so I just opted to finish the book.

I said I liked the biology lessons until they came every. Other. Chapter. Take them out and the actual story is not that big. I understand getting readers to know that things like the transmission of parasite to host is very common it can be detrimental, but can also be very positive for life. But come on! Every other chapter? It got old pretty quick for me, I felt like I was back in high school in sophomore year. Yeah this was way more interesting to read but I felt like Westerfeld needed something to lengthen the book. Also, the ending. Pardon me but WTF! One little blip with the main problem and then wham, bam done. And the "drama" with the Night Watch. Of course they are hiding things from you, Cal. They call you 'Kid' for a reason! (Okay I'm going to stop ranting now....)

I don't think I will be reading the second book, I would have to order it from another library and that could take quite a few weeks. Also with as disappointed as I was in the book, overall I want to hold off on the second book. I think younger kids could learn something from reading the book along with enjoying the plot. That being said I recommend this to the younger-ish ones. Not too young though, there is talk of sex but nothing to get upset over.

Rating: 3 out of 5.

Page Count: 312 pages (paperback)

Price: $8.99

Next: If I Stay by Gayle Forman

Thank you for putting up with my rant!
~Jade


You can also find me here: Facebook, Goodreads, and Tumblr!

No comments:

Post a Comment