Sunday, February 7, 2016

The Coldest Girl In Coldtown by Holly Black

This is (possibly for now) a stand alone by Black. If anyone remembers the review of the short story I did called The Eternal Kiss-13 Vampire Tales of Blood and Desire there was a story that left me in awe. It is what I like to think of as the prelude to this book also called The Coldest Girl In Coldtown. Black has quite a number of books out and I definitely plan to read some of them. I also have a video up on Youtube if you want to check that out.



Tana wakes up from a party, she and two other people are the only ones left alive. They barely make it out unscathed and from there it is one hell of a ride. In a Coldtown things are made to seem like it's one big party. It's not. If you don't want to be there you can't get out unless you have a marker. Tana is hoping to get through the next few weeks with no problems but things never go as planned.

What I liked: EVERYTHING. Pretty much though...I loved Tana and Gavriel. I absolutely loved to hate Midnight, I didn't feel sorry for her at all. I was completely taken with this book from beginning to end. I did not want to stop reading. I was left wanting more in a very good way, I do hope there is something more even if it is someone else's POV. I liked very much the differences between being Cold or Infected vs. being an actual vampire. Any differences from the run of the mill vampire tale is definitely worth looking into for me. I also liked that almost every other chapter wasn't in Tana's POV. It was in someone else's or in a different time period, a memory, it was something or another. It kept my interest very much. Along with the fact that there are quotes dealing with death at the beginning of every chapter. My absolute favorite was from Chapter 22; "One has to pay dearly for immortality; one has to die several times while one is still alive." Friedrich Nietzsche.

There was only two things that I didn't like, the first one is that this is quite possibly a stand alone. Black has said that she has ideas for another book but her agent is the one who gets to say yes or no. The second thing is that the ending, where as it tied up almost everything it left a few things up to the imagination. Don't get me wrong I loved the ending, I JUST WANT MORE!

Do I need to say I recommend this to everyone? 'Cause I do, young and old, just read the book! I want to own this book and I am currently looking for it. I do see myself rereading this book a number of times before I decide not to. I seriously hope there is another book. This makes the list of "Books that were awesome" for me. If you read it and don't like it that's okay! Not every book is going to agree with everyone, that's be beauty of life.

Rating: 5 out of 5!

Page Count: 419 pages (hardcover)

Price: $19

Next Book: The Dead Girls of Hysteria Hall by Katie Alender

Thank you so much for reading! I would love to hear your thoughts on the book as well
~Jade


You can also follow me on these sites: Facebook, Goodreads, Tumblr and now YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment