Sunday, July 6, 2014

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

First book in the Lunar Chronicles, Cinder is a spin off of Cinderella. I will try my best to review the next three books but it took forever for me to get Cinder and actually read it from my library. I am really glad that I have finally jumped on this train because I like where it is going, even if I am really late on the train as always!

Cinder is not your normal sixteen-year-old. She is deemed the bane of her stepmothers existence, and society doesn't perceive her more than a technological mistake. Though being part cyborg has it's lighter side, Cinder can fix anything and in New Beijing, she is the best mechanic. With a reputation like that people still come to her to have their things fixed. Even Prince Kai himself. He visits her booth requesting that she fixes his android before the annual ball. He plays the android off to be nothing more than a sentimental machine to him, but Cinder knows better. Wanting to please the Prince Cinder doesn't get far when the only person who has been nice to her comes down with the plague. Earth is no longer what it once was, and there is more to Cinder than anyone actually knows.

It seems I am on a roll with books that I have absolutely loved. To continue, Cinder definitely makes the 5 star list. From beginning to end I was enraptured by Cinder and what things have fallen to after a chemical war. For a spinoff of Cinderella I didn't know if I was going to enjoy this, because most of the time there isn't enough of the spin part and lots of the actual fairy tale. Cinder crosses enough of the tale and throws lots of spins into the plot that I ended up loving the plot within a few pages of starting the book. This is going to be a huge spoiler for those who have not read the book and I do not recommend reading this particular one. *SPOILER-ALERT* I was expecting for the ending to be all happy and hunky-dory. It wasn't. Even with the love that's between Kai and Cinder, they don't end up together at the end of the story. Maybe in one of the future books they will be hinted toward being together. *SPOILER-ENDED* I also love how other fairy tales are brought in, you almost know what the next books are about in terms of other fairy tales.

There really wasn't anything I had a problem with in Cinder. I did run into a few passages where I had to reread it a few times to fully understand what was going on, but that could have just been me. I loved the cyborg and dystopian style of this book, Meyer made it flow very nicely together. There were a few sad parts in it, but I almost would have been let down if things were just happy and good all the time.

Yet another good book read, and I totally recommend this book to everyone who has looked at it. I really loved Cinder and I think the series is going to be amazing. I would love to one day own this book. I'm sorry that these last few reviews have been a little weird in terms of length, but when I have nothing to say, I have nothing to say. Nevertheless, I still hope you enjoyed the reviews, I have more on the way as usual.

Rating: 5 out of 5.

Page Count: 390 pages (hardcover).

Price: $17.99

Next: June Book Haul

Thanks for reading!
~Jade

No comments:

Post a Comment