Saturday, March 14, 2015

Black Ice by Becca Fitzpatrick

This is Fitzpatrick's fifth book, her other four belong to the Hush, Hush saga. I have read the first three books but not the final yet. I may reread the books before I read the last book seeing as it has been a while since I last read them. I don't know if this book will be a stand-alone, but with the way it ended I wouldn't be surprised. Fitzpatrick does have another book coming out late this year called Dangerous Lies and from what I can tell it doesn't have anything to do with this one.

Ready to test her skills and training Britt is getting ready to backpack the Teton Range. What she isn't ready for is her ex-boyfriend to tag along. She still thinks about him, and hasn't seen him for a while. Though before she allows herself to think about her feelings for Calvin, a blizzard forces her to find refuge in a remote cabin. It's two very handsome occupants though, are fugitives and they take her hostage. She barters for her life and agrees to help get them off of the mountain. Britt knows she needs to stay alive long enough for Calvin to come find her. She finds out about a few murders that happened on the mountain and realizes that this may make her the next one. Everyone's hiding something, Mason, one of the captors, is hiding something big. And what's with his kindness?

From the moment I began Black Ice I couldn't stop reading. The beginning started off with a bang and I didn't know what to think. There's action pretty much from the time the book starts to the end. Fitzpatrick really captured my attention and held it the whole time. I didn't have a problem with wanting to read anything else, I just wanted to read Black Ice the whole time. Also when it ended, I really was tempted to start all over and read it again. Fitzpatrick definitely gets brownie points from me for having Britt correct Korbie on the fact that Frankenstein is not the monster but in fact the Doctor. I thought I had it all figured out part of the way through the book, but I was dead wrong. I didn't actually figure anything out until just before it was announced or made clear. There were smaller details that I did figure out but every small detail I did put together I wanted to know more. This didn't end with a cliffhanger but ended in a way that I was happy with. As far as I feel anything that could have been taken as a loose end was tied up.

Really I have not a problem with Black Ice, the action was nonstop throughout the book. I didn't predict anything really until the last second, and when the book finished I was genuinely upset that it didn't go on. I really would love a second book with Britt and Jude but I doubt that would happen. Pretty much everything was said in this book, the most I can see happening is Jude getting his own backstory book but again, I doubt that will happen. I was concerned with the beginning, because lots of things can happen in that situation and I am glad that a number of them didn't happen.

I recommend this book to everyone. Not just teens, everyone. I can see myself rereading this book a number of times and I think I will reread it. I want to own this book and I really look forward to anything else that Fitzpatrick publishes. As I said before she does have a saga out called Hush, Hush so if you read this and want more there is four more books. I would however, like to say something. Ladies and gentlemen, please if you are going out to a bar or a club or wherever it may be. Please be safe, do not accept that drink from a complete stranger that is "total hot", sometimes they might not be a stranger. If you accept the drink and within a few sips you taste anything salty, put the drink down. Date-rape drug has a salty taste to it. Don't leave your drink unattended either. There is nothing wrong with wanting to have fun, just be safe about it.

Rating: 5 out of 5.

Page Count: 392 pages (hardcover)

Price: $19.99

Next Book: Shutter by Courtney Alameda

Thank you for reading!
~Jade

No comments:

Post a Comment