Sunday, March 29, 2015

Deadly Little Secret by Laurie Faria Stolarz

This is the first book in the Touch series by Stolarz. It's a book published way back in 2008, and I really wish I had picked it up when I was in high school. I remember seeing it but I wasn't out of my phase of "every book I read needs to have vampires in it, some way some how or else I am not reading it." Thankfully I am no longer like that *cough*sort-of*cough*. Stolarz has a number of other books out besides this one and I might pick another up eventually. Sorry that this review got up a little late.

Three months ago Camelia's life had been pretty normal for a sixteen year old. It was all changed when a mysterious boy named Ben started going to her school. The rumor is that Ben killed his ex-girlfriend, even though it was ruled an accident. Everyone casts judgment upon Ben, as this is high school. Camelia, however, does not, in fact she's drawn to him and his touch. Bone chilling phone calls and packages left with even more chilling notes ensue not too long afterwards. Ben says that Camelia is in danger, he wants to help but Camelia doesn't know if she can trust him. He has a lot hiding, but he's not the only one.

It's been a while since I have read a book with a psychometric in it. I forget how much I like books that give humans supernatural powers. For a first book I would say that it was great. I wonder how the next four books are going to go, seeing as the "main" problem for this book was solved. I guess the characters will provide more problems, and I would like to find out more about a few of them. I did like the characters, Camelia is trying to make it through high school like most of the other kids. Wes was the much needed comic relief, though I did suspect him for the bad guy every once in a while. With Kimmie I don't know if I like her or not. I find that she is that complete and utter randomness that Camelia needs to shake up her life, but Kimmie outright annoyed me half of the time. Ben is your typical "bad boy with a bad reputation that has a soft side" character. I liked him though, he has a lot more to be seen. Deadly Little Secret was a quick and pretty easy read, but it wasn't so easy that things where spelled out. At least not for me. The ending was a little of a cliffhanger but not that much, I can live with the ending so long as I get the second book eventually.

There was a lot of internal conflict with Camelia, she would be set going one way and then one thing would throw her the complete opposite way. I understand why Camelia was thinking the way she was and the going back and forth, because I am the same exact way. But after a few times I get tired of it and figure out which way I am going or if I am remaining neutral. Yes, Camelia couldn't remain neutral when her life is on the line, but I would have had whiplash from all the back and forth she did. The ending was a little predictable, although its understandable for Ben's reasoning. It makes certain parts of the next book predictable, which I am not looking forward to but I will not let it kill the book for me. Not until I have read and formed my own opinion of it.

Overall I would say that Deadly Little Secrets was a great read. I would most definitely reread this book over a few times. I do hope the other books stand up to this one and do better as well. The formatting of my book made it a pretty quick read as I said, so I do recommend this for anyone wanting a quick read. If you want a longer read, save this book for later. I also recommend this to everyone, though I can see where "adults" may not like this as much as young adults. I wouldn't mind owning this book by Stolarz, and I wouldn't mind picking up another book by her to read.

Rating: 5 out of 5.

Page Count: 252 pages (paperback)

Price: $9.99

Next Book: The Farm by Emily McKay

Thanks for reading!
~Jade

No comments:

Post a Comment