Saturday, April 4, 2015

The Farm by Emily McKay

First book in the Farm trilogy, I will try to get my hands on the other three books. One of the three books is a novella that took place before this first book did. If I can't get the others to read, I will carry on reading what ever I happen to pick up as usual. The last book was published in 2014 and from reading a few things I think it might be safe to say that it is the last book. McKay does have a number of other books published and this trilogy looks to be her first go at YA novels.

In the Before life was completely different. There weren't any holding pens for young people, there weren't any blood thirsty monsters called Ticks devouring humans. The world was as normal as it could get. Then the Ticks came everything changed, now twins Lily and Mel are stuck at the Farm. Mel is autistic and it comes in handy quite a bit. Mel noticed that there is a portion of the electrical fence that is off every night. Lily takes this as their ticket out, though it won't be easy it is the only chance they have. Or so they think. Carter is a classmate of Lily's from the Before, and he has managed to stay alive this whole time. He has very valuable knowledge about life outside the Farm. Much like everyone else he has his own agenda, he also knows that there is a driving force behind the Ticks and it is a dangerous one.

I very much like how McKay had this apocalypse come about, it is a concept that I don't dismiss readily. The Ticks reminded me a little of The Strain but there are "normal" vampires running around too. I do like the idea of how things may end up going back in favor for the humans (possibly) because of the abductura and their special abilities with the Ticks. I really enjoyed that McKay didn't make Carter and Lily get together in this first book. It was nice not having the main characters all over each other constantly because they are together. Plus it saves me from going on a tangent that this leads to the cliché of the second book being the break up of the relationship. I loved that the action was pretty much nonstop from the beginning, it really kept the pace of the book up. When things did calm a bit I would catch myself wondering what was going to happen next and what was coming. I wasn't drawn to Carter and Lily, but Mel and Sebastian actually. I really wanted to see more interactions from them but obviously it was more about Lily and Carter in this book. I do believe that the next books might have more of Mel and Sebastian in them which I look forward too.

I did have a couple of problems with The Farm. It was a very good book, well written, very descriptive, and I didn't want to stop reading. There was action throughout the book, but when it came to the end and the "big action" that was being built up to, I felt that it lacked very much. Everything was literally over within a couple of pages. I know I shouldn't be too harsh but it bugs me when this big event for the end of the book just flops. I also didn't like how I can tell what relationships are going to ensue throughout the series. For example Carter and Lily, Sebastian and Mel. I wouldn't be surprised to see McKay switch them up too. I still have high hopes for the trilogy, I just hope this isn't going to be a let down in the end like another trilogy I finished up with not too long ago.

The Farm wasn't a complete disappointment, but I was hoping for more when it came to the end. I can see "adults" liking this book, along with young adults. I don't see a problem with a younger reader having at this either. There is talk of sex and subtle hints of rape but it's nothing compared to some other books out there. I definitely don't see the younger readers being traumatized over The Farm. Owning this book would be nice but I would most likely read the rest of the books before I make a definite decision on it. I can see myself reread this a couple of times though they would be spaced out quite a bit. As usual what I did happen to mention is not everything that happened. If you think you may like to read this book, I say go for it.

Rating: 4 out of 5.

Page Count: 420 pages (paperback)

Price: $9.99

Next Book: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

Thank you for reading!
~Jade

No comments:

Post a Comment