Sunday, May 17, 2015

Zomburbia by Adam Gallardo

Zomburbia is the first book in the Zombie Apocalypse...I don't know yet if it is going to be a series or just a duology. This is a fairly new book, being published in 2014, and the second book Zombified published this year in February. It caught my eye when I saw that it had something to do with zombies and I told myself this time around at the library that I wouldn't pick anything up. As usual, I did. I don't know when I will be reading and reviewing the second book, college is getting reallllly busy, but I will try my best to keep posting reviews when I can.

High school is hard enough, add zombies to the mix and it just makes it that much more awesome. Add another strike by being born in Salem, Oregon. Courtney has a plan though. Selling Vitamin Z while working at Bully Burger and saving the money to move to New York. What's Vitamin Z you might ask? Well, zombie brains. Courtney isn't your run of the mill drug seller though. She notices that things are getting worse. The zombie seem to be getting smarter and faster. No one else seems to notice this at all. If she can make it through high school, avoid being arrested and try to stay out of the line of fire from a stupid boy things should be some semblance of fine. Right?

Yes I do have more likes than THIS HAS ZOMBIES IN IT! There were subtle hints throughout the book that people may become a zombie through something other than a bite or scratch. It was the same hint every time which made it pretty easy to pick up. For me it wasn't overly thrown in your face, and it did make sense as to why this would happen. Also the sarcasm between Courtney and Sherri had me cracking up constantly through the book. There were some dull parts where I was waiting for the book to pick up a bit but they really didn't bother me because I couldn't stop reading. I wanted to know what things where going to happen mainly between Courtney and Brandon. Speaking of those two, I liked that Courtney stayed true to herself even with a hot guy giving her attention. It took her a moment but she did stick to her guns. I think more younger girls need to know that even though a boy or girl likes you, you shouldn't change yourself to keep them interested. If they don't like you for who you are, they aren't worth your time and energy. Lastly I really liked the references to other books and movies. Grease, The Lost Boys, and even Lord of the Flies were mentioned. As someone knowing all three of these it was pretty cool to see how they were incorporated into the text.

For a young adult novel I'd say that even an adult could easily get into it and like it. Although I was able to predict a number of things, Willie and Sherri being one of them. It took me a little longer with Sherri but as soon as Brandon entered the picture, I knew what was going to happen with Willie. It was a dead ringer once Willie's mom was given a small voice too. *SPOILER-ALERT* Though really I don't think this is too big of one. The only other thing I had a problem with was when Courtney decided to aid her friends into trying Vitamin Z. Yes peer pressure is a bitch. Yes you are supposed to support your friends, but not when it comes to aiding your friends into trying a "hard core" drug. Don't do this kids. Just don't. *SPOILER-ENDED* Though I do appreciate Gallardo showing that bad things can happen and when it rains, it pours with the bad times.

I was really pleased while reading Zomburbia, I didn't want to put it down pretty much at all because I was kept interested. I did have a couple of problem but they really didn't deter me from finishing the book. I really hope that Gallardo continues to write, be it with this series or another. I find that his writing style really draws me in even when things are at a slower pace. I would most definitely reread this book, and I do think owning it would be nice. I would hold off to see how many more books are going to be added before really investing in them. Heck, for all I don't know the second book could be the end. I do recommend this book to people of all ages to read, and I don't see a problem with a kid in middle school reading this.

Rating: 4 out of 5.

Page Count: 362 pages (paperback)

Price: $9.95

Next Book: Racheal Awakened by Robin A. Dilks

Thanks for reading!
~Jade

No comments:

Post a Comment