Sunday, May 31, 2015

Cryer's Cross by Lisa McMann

Known for her Wake trilogy McMann does have a number of other books out. I do have Wake, Fade, and Gone all reviewed and they are linked. If you click on their names you will be taken to the reviews. I do believe this is a standalone, I don't think McMann will be writing any more books that go along with Cryer's Cross.

When something big happens in a small town, especially like a teenager going missing, it hits close to home. No pun intended. But when it happens a second time, something is seriously wrong. Kendall has OCD and having something like someone close to her heart go missing doesn't make it better. Fear and anxiety makes it even more worse as she tries to keep it all together. Hearing voices nearly tips her off completely, but when she finds a message scratched into the desk she decides to act on her impulses. Why? It's the same desk where both students who went missing sat. Some small towns have secrets, some are more horrifying than others.

I don't have many likes. I was more disappointed then anything. I liked the plot, and where it was going. I liked the characters names, they weren't popular (well maybe all but Kendall). I liked that McMann kept that with super small towns everyone knows everything going on with everyone. It's true, though sometimes it doesn't need to be a really small town for this to happen. With the small town Kendall's need to get out and go somewhere big, I could relate to. Sometimes I feel as though I am going to do the same thing everyday for years and I reallllly don't like that feeling. I do feel as though McMann did well showing how Kendall's OCD is. There are many types but she portrayed this one well, especially including how Kendall would feel if she wouldn't get to finish a ritual. I really enjoyed the "story" at the end that Hector told. I wish more would have come from it.

As I said before I liked the plot but there could have been soooo much more done with it, and I was disappointed that there wasn't. Hectors "story" could have been incorporated a lot more and there could have been a lot more done with it. I really felt as though there was a lack of real sustenance. It was basically Kendall dealing with loss, Kendall dealing with her OCD, Kendall dealing with conflicted feelings, Kendall dealing with this, Kendall dealing with that. Things did move along even though it was like this but there could have been more. Do you get that I wanted more by now? It wasn't a good more though. I think I would prefer rereading Gone before rereading this...yeah. I could go on but I don't like tearing a book completely apart with negatives.

I feel as though McMann's writing is more for the younger part of young adults. I enjoy how McMann writes, but I don't enjoy hoping for something amazing from her and getting something mediocre at best. I don't know if I will read anything else of McMann, I want to give her Visions series a try but it might be a while unless I want something really quick to read. As hinted toward before I don't think I will be rereading this book at all, I would much rather reread Gone. I don't think this will be a book I will own, unless it is $3 or under. I won't be paying more for it even if I did want to really own Cryer's Cross. Do I mean to completely discourage you from reading this? No, but I definitely recommend this book for the younger readers. Not someone "older" or a more advanced reader, unless they want something to pass a couple of hours with.

Rating: 2 out of 5.

Page Count: 233 pages (hardcover)

Price: $16.99

Next book: Deadly Little Lies by Laurie Faria Stolarz

Thank you for reading!
~Jade

No comments:

Post a Comment