Sunday, June 7, 2015

Deadly Little Lies by Laurie Faria Stolarz

Second book in the Touch series I do have the first book Deadly Little Secret, reviewed. The next book in the series is Deadly Little Games. Stolarz does have a number of other books out, so if this series isn't your cup of tea, she might have something else that is.

It was only last fall when Camila fell for Ben and found out that he has the gift of psychometry. Though as things began to get good, Bed up and leaves. Heartbroken Camila spends month researching psychometry and even experiences a few spells herself. Wondering if this is something that can be passed from one person to the next, she tries to tell Ben once he does come back but it's no use. She can't get him to listen long enough. Things start to happen though, almost like a repeat from last year. Warning and threats begin to pop up like last time. In the midst of all of this, deciding to move on Camila starts seeing a new guy in town named Adam. He seems to be less complicated then Ben, but a love triangle forms. Ben's past starts to reveal itself and Adam is tangled in it too. Someone is lying but no one will say who.

Yet another book where I don't have that many likes. I'm in a rut lately...but here we go. I liked that Camila tried to effectively cut things off with Ben seeing as they were no longer "together". She knew that it wasn't good to try and keep things at a "friend" level when they had such a heated connection. Sometimes it's better to cut things off completely because it means that both people will be able to heal. I'm interested to see how this next book plays out with Adam. This time around I really enjoyed Kimmie and Wes more, they had me laughing a number of times. I think I'm beginning to like them more than Camila. I loved the snippets from Alexia, it took me a while to figure out who she was. Mainly because I forgot, but once I did I really enjoyed those parts the most. *SPOILER-ALERT* I did see the psychometry being hereditary-thing coming but I was waiting to see who else has or had it in the family.*SPOILER-ENDED* For the last thing that I liked, Stolarz showed with Alexia that how a parent acts toward a child really does affect them. Be it good or bad it has an affect and after so long the child may turn their attitude around completely because of this.

Now for the dislikes...I completely saw Debbie coming. I mean she hates Ben. Granted, yes, the whole school pretty much does but she realllly hates him. So why not make his life hell? I did feel as though I was rereading the first book with some change ups and no kidnapping. I seriously hope that wasn't the point because it killed the mood of the book for me. Also the love triangle, saw that one coming too, and YA novels have enough of the love triangles going on. It's time for authors to switch things up with that. I probably would have guessed a good chunk of the book had I of read this book closer to the last book. The "action" that was being lead up to was a little over a page and then done. There was more talking than anything. I think I liked the tussle between Ben and Adam a lot more. Though this book wasn't dull, it wasn't really anything spectacular either.

I am not completely discouraged from reading the third book, but if things don't pick up I don't know about the rest of the series. I do recommend this book to others but be warned that I don't know if more advanced readers will enjoy it as much as the younger ones, but I could be wrong. I would like to own the first book, but not so much this one. Depending on how the next books in the series go, it will really make my mind up if this is one of those series I want to own just a few of the books or the whole series.

Rating: low 3 out of 5.

Page Count: 282 pages (hardcover)

Price: $16.99

Next Book: The End Games by T. Michael Martin

Thanks for reading!
~Jade

No comments:

Post a Comment