Sunday, August 30, 2015

Nightwalker by Jocelynn Drake

Nightwalker is the first book in the Dark Days series by Drake. There are six full length novels and a few novellas. Drake has another series out just in case Nightwalker isn't your type of book. I found this book in the fantasy section of my library. This was published back in 2008 and the last novella was published in 2012.


By now Mira is used to being a nightwalker, it's been a few centuries since she has been made. Her mysterious power over fire makes her different from the other nightwalkers and has made her an interest to others. So far it seems that her power is keeping her from meeting her end. A new enemy has arisen and his name is Danaus, a vampire hunter. He's killed many of Mira's kind and she now has to make a decision, either hunt or be hunted.

Again another book that had a lot of action and a few sub plots that could make or break the main one. I think so far they are making the main plot stronger because all the smaller plots are adding to the suspension of everything that is happening. I especially think the conflict between Mira and Jabari could be a great explosion and I hope that Drake explored it. I do like that there is a slightly more complex hierarchy of vampires. There are the ancients, the middle groups and then lower and newer vampires. I haven't heard the term naturi before, which is another name for the fey creatures. The fey are not small or pixie like with Drake. They are not always nice either and this was a great change of pace.

I only have a couple of dislikes and one of them really dropped my rating for the book. Some authors hang onto a phrase and just use it to death. Drake used so and so person "ran their hand through their hair" so many times that I quit reading the book for a few days. In one chapter alone it was used three times. I tried to keep count for the book as a whole but I quit counting after it was used the eight time. I don't know what Drake could have used in replace of that phrase but something else was needed to express their frustration. The second thing that annoyed the crap out of me was that Mira couldn't seem to wear the appropriate attire. Yes, lets wear leather high heel boots while knowing that I have a number of people on my ass. There is cool looking combat ready clothes that she could have considered, knowing that there are lots of people that want her dead.

Nightwalker was a great read, and I was kept interested throughout the book. If it weren't for the phrase "ran their hand through their hair" I would have given the book a higher rating. I don't know if I would reread Nightwalker any time soon. I would like to own the book however it is a book that I would be willing to pass up for another. Honestly, I do recommend this for young adults as well, there's a few PG-13 parts but they don't last but a few paragraphs at most.

Rating: 3 out of 5

Page Count: 370 pages (paperback)

Price: $7.99

Next book: Enshadowed by Kelly Creagh

Thank you so much for reading!
~Jade


If you would like to follow me on other social media here is where you can find me: FaceBook, GoodReads, and Tumblr.

No comments:

Post a Comment