Saturday, February 21, 2015

Swept Up by Kayla Dawn Thomas

If you remember in my November and December book haul post, I ranted slightly about how I was given two ebooks that I wasn't able to get to work for my Kindle app. This was one of them, though Thomas was kind enough to send me a actual print copy for me to read. I won* the copy from attending a book launch party. Thomas does have a few other books written, and as far as it looks Swept Up is a stand-alone.

Web's still mending a broken heart, and likes to be alone. So being a street sweeper on the night shift is an ideal job. His mother however, wants grandchildren and his sister tries to hook him up with anyone she can. It doesn't help that the women that she does pair him with aren't the brightest. All of that and the wonderful late night excitement that can happen, Web has enough going on in his life, but nothing prepares him for the moment when a woman stumbles in front of his sweeper. Kara doesn't know how to be herself, and this lead to a lifetime of poor decisions. Hitting the lowest of the low she moves in with her best friend and her husband. They help her get a job teaching English at Basil State University. She almost has everything put together until one night of whiskey nearly sends everything back into the ground.

I am so used to fantasy, mythical creatures, abnormal problems that involve supernatural creatures, that when reading Swept Up it felt pretty refreshing. It's about two humans in humanly situations. A few chapters into this I kept asking myself "wait...how's this going to work?" Then it all made sense once we got a little background on Web. I found that I connected with Kara a lot more then I thought I would, especially more toward the end. I like that Kara is portrayed as not having it all together, and it takes something to completely override everything for her to get her life completely together. Sometimes it isn't until something very precious is in the picture that straightens you out. I also liked that Kara and Web's relationship isn't that of a "typical" one that you find in other books. I laughed a lot thanks to Kara and a few of the predicaments that she would get into, especially the bull ride. I found Web to be endearing, which is always good, his sister Celeste was a hoot too, along with a few of his friends. Pretty much everyone had me laughing.

The one thing that bugged me was Web's past and how it tied into the book. I predicted what was going to happen because of it. Did it ruin the book for me? Not at all. I was kept interested throughout the whole book. I wanted to know what his actions where going to be because of his past. There where a couple of parts that seemed to drag on a bit for me but once things picked back up I didn't mind the down time of them. These where the only things that bugged me and they were easily dismissible.

I completely recommend this to everyone who thinks they would be interested in it. I obviously own the book, and I can see myself rereading Swept Up a few times, if not more. I really enjoyed reading Thomas's book, and I can see myself going for her other books. I do think there are people who are not going to like this book just because it isn't for them, and that's perfectly okay. I don't see a problem with teens reading Swept Up, there are two "grown up" spots but they don't last more than a page. There is much worse that a teen could accidentally pick up.

Rating: 5 out of 5.

Page Count: 385 pages (paperback)

Next: January and February book haul 

Thanks for reading!
~Jade


*Just because I won this book does not mean I am giving a false review. I am speaking genuinely about this book, as I do for all reviews regardless if I win them or pick them up from the library. I promise to give my honest opinion about the books I review and I have done so. If you have any concerns please feel free to email me and we can discuss them.

No comments:

Post a Comment