Sunday, April 12, 2015

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

I know, I know, I'm a little late on reading this book (more like four years). This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone...but it's better late than never! To be perfectly honest I have had this book for a good year or so and I just now got around to reading it. For those of you unaware this first book in the Peculiar Children trilogy is going to be a movie in 2016 and rumored to be directed by Tim Burton! The second book is out and I do own it, though I don't know when I will get around to reading that. The final book is not published yet, but is set to be in September of this year.

If it weren't for a family tragedy Jacob wouldn't have been driven to a little island off the coast of Wales. While there he finds Miss Peregrine's Hone for Peculiar Children, it's in ruins but after looking around he sees that these peculiar children are more than what they seem. There's a chance they are dangerous, and have been quarantined here for a reason. There's a chance that they may still be alive.

I very much enjoyed this book, Riggs did a fantastic job of drawing me in but I wasn't kept there which I will get into in the next paragraph. I really enjoyed the idea that peculiar children need to be protected from this greater evil. Once the backstory is told of the greater evil I was really intrigued and I wished that there was a novella or something that goes along with the backstory more. I sympathize with Jacob, because if I had a grandparent telling me tales like Jacob's I wouldn't believe them either. It would take for me to come face to face with what they were talking about before I where to believe, like Jacob. I couldn't pick just a few characters that I liked, because I liked basically all of the peculiar children. They are unique and all really cool on their own, and I love how they are kept a secret from the "real world" for their protection too. I was surprised to see that I recognized a few of the photos that Riggs included.

The only real problem I had with Peculiar Children is that I found I could be drawn away from reading it. In between starting and finishing this book I also read 3 or 4 other books. I did always go back to it but if something caught my attention I didn't feel the need to finish Peculiar Children. Now this isn't so much as a dislike, but more of a annoyance. It also takes away from the full 5-rating that I was intending to give. My attention just wasn't kept by Riggs. I will hold off reading the second book for a little bit because of how easily distracted I was from this one.

I did enjoy Peculiar Children very much, I just wish my attention had been kept all the way through. I do recommend this book to everyone, not just young adults. I think that adults could enjoy this book easily. I also think younger readers could enjoy this book, I don't think there is anything in this book that they wouldn't come across worse just listening to the afternoon news. I already own this book and the second, it remains to be seen whether I decide to get the final third book.

Rating: 4 out of 5.

Page Count: 382 pages (paperback)

Price: $10.99 (I bought this around $7-$9 at my local Sam's Club)

Next Book: The Queen of Zombie Hearts by Gena Showalter

Thanks for reading!
~Jade

I had reviews going up every Saturday (for me) but seeing as I have a class on Saturdays now, I will just push back the reviews by one day. Now it will be every Sunday that I put a review up.

No comments:

Post a Comment