Sunday, April 19, 2015

The Queen of Zombie Hearts by Gena Showalter

Third book in the White Rabbit Chronicles I do have book one and book two reviewed, feel free to check them out if you want. Showalter was originally going to end the chronicles with The Queen of Zombie Hearts but things have changed and there will be another book. The next book will be called A Mad Zombie Party and as of now it is set to be released later this year. I don't think I will be reading that one as soon as it comes out, I will probably wait a while before I do. There is another book out that fits between book one and book two called Cole...Meet Ali. If you want to read that just click and it will take you to Showalter's site where you can read it.

The worst is behind the slayers, or so they think. Ali is ready to go a step further with her boyfriend Cole Holland. Who also happens to be the leader of the zombie slayers. Everything was going good until Anima Industries lands a sneak attack. They are the ones controlling the zombies, and they are the reason why four of Ali's friends get killed. Ali realizes that people can be the most dangerous things, sometimes worse than monsters themselves. What's even worse is that this is only the beginning. Trying to overcome what just happened the remaining slayers gear up for war, and Ali finds that she can control the zombies too. She learns that she isn't who she thinks she is, along with so much more. She's connected to the woman who killed, and turned Cole's mother. More and more secrets come out into the open, and a relationship can only endure so much. Ali will find that taking down Anima is going to be harder than she thought and she just might have to sacrifice herself to do it.

I didn't have too many likes this time around. Zombie Hearts was an okay book, but I really had more problems with it. What I did like however was the action that was all throughout the book. There where down moments, but they were not down for very long. Things got going almost right away, and it just kept going from there. I laughed almost the whole way through the book, between Ali, Kat, Gavin, and everyone else there was an abundance of sass everywhere. The fact that Showalter kept me laughing is about the only reason why I didn't put this book down and not finish. *SEMI-SPOILER-ALERT* I will commend Showalter, she knows that her fan base is mainly younger readers. Things get heated with Cole and Ali, and Showalter promoted safe sex. Thank you, thank you, thank you! Safe sex needs to be promoted, because teens are going to be teens (not saying all teens will be teens but you get it).*SEMI-SPOILER-ENDED*

I'm on the fence about this next point, if you are sensitive and have not a clue about what happens in this book skip this little blurb and go to my dislikes (the very next paragraph). As soon as I read that four people where going to die, I knew exactly who they where. Along with the other. It wasn't really a big surprise to me, the four weren't huge characters. I did feel a touch of heartache, but it was because I was hoping to get a little more from them.

I had a lot of annoyances with this book, but I will cut them down to the ones that bugged me the most. The first one was the hints throughout the book specifically the ones on page 63 and 76. *SPOILER-ALERT* I knew that Ali was adopted before anything happened because of these two hints. I do think there was hints in the first two books but I don't quite remember them being so prominent. I also knew that Kat was going to die, just not the way that she did.*SPOILER-ENDED* The next one that bugged me was Ali's constant "OMG Cole is so hot, OMG Cole is the best, OMG Cole this, OMG Cole that" on just about every other page. I literally felt like Ali was 12 with her first crush and not a young adult. If I could have reached into the book and shaken her I would have. I liked Cole before, but not anymore. After commending Showalter, I do have to say that personally I do not think it is okay to tattoo your boyfriend/girlfriends name on you. Especially at a very young age, things happen and people change. I have seen more often than not that after getting a persons name tattooed on them, they split. Now they have a constant reminder of the other person until they get enough money to cover it up. Tattoo's are permanent unless you want to shell out a lot of money. Lastly, if the slayers knew that Anima was planning something (but not necessarily when per say) I would have never gotten as relaxed as they did. That's a big no-no, you do not get all relaxed when you know the enemy is still very much alive and kicking.

If I wasn't kept laughing from the sassiness I would have not finished The Queen of Zombie Hearts. I really was disappointed with this book. I kept hoping that things would turn around but they didn't. I didn't even list everything that I had a problem with because no one would have bothered to read a huge whining post. I know my opinion is one of the less popular ones, but this is what I think nonetheless. I hope that I like the next book more. I do recommend this book, only because I know there are people out there who are going to love the book and that's great.

Rating: 2.5 out of 5.

Page Count: 459 pages (hardcover)

Price: $18.99

Next Book: Spirit Bound by Richelle Mead

Thanks for reading!
~Jade

Note: I would still like to say that I am busy in college, this term is really packed with work to do. I don't have too much time to read, but I still do when I can. If reviews are further apart I'm sorry but you gotta do what you gotta do to live. If something happens and I cannot get reviews up for a while I will make a separate post saying so. Once again, thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment