Sunday, April 26, 2015

Spirit Bound by Richelle Mead

Fifth book in the Vampire Academy series, I do have the fourth book reviewed. I do explain in that why I do not have the first three books up. Maybe one day I will reread them and also review them. There is one more book for this series, and eventually I will get around to reading it. Mead has quite a number of other books out, including a series called the Bloodlines series and it sort of goes along with the Vampire Academy. (Yes, there is a reason why I didn't mention the movie, I'm pretending it didn't happen.)

A heartbroken Rose returns to St. Vladimir's after a long and tiring trip to Siberia. She returns back to Lissa, and soon graduation takes place. The girls are ready for their life to begin outside of the academy's grip. Though even with that excitement looming there is almost always something that reminds Rose of Dimitri and she feels the heartache all over again. He's out there, and she knows it. Rose failed to kill him when she had the chance, Dimitri tasted her blood and now he's hunting her. She knows that if she doesn't join him as a Strigoi he will silencer her forever. But Rose won't give up hope, there are rumors and she must decide who matters most to her because of them. Risk everything and lose it all, or gain from it, is one of the hardest decisions she must make.

Rose is still my favorite character, though she annoyed me this book which I will get into in the next paragraph. Abe is creeping up in second place for favorites now. Rose was sassy and it had me laughing along with Adrian and him being himself. Speaking of Rose and Adrian, I was really happy to see that Rose apologized to him for certain things. She wasn't above apologizing when she knew she was in the wrong. I think more people need to be like this, and not so full of themselves. Apologizing to someone when you have done wrong isn't bad, if anything it can pave the way for making things better between the people. I liked that there was action pretty much throughout the book. It kind-of had to be that way because I probably wouldn't have finished Spirit Bound. The main problem was "solved" about half way through the book, so if there wasn't any action through the rest of the it I would have been disappointed. There where breaks long enough to process what just happened but soon after things would start back up again. Now, a lot of you know that I loath cliffhanger endings. This one however, when I finished reading the last line, it felt right. I don't know how I would have taken any other ending.

As I said before Rose annoyed me. Even though both she and Adrian knew that Rose wasn't over Dimitri, they still decided to try out a relationship together. This personally made me want to smack them both. Rose and Adrian should have stayed close friends (no I don't mean that in a sexual way unless they wanted that mutually) and waited until Rose was either over Dimitri or knew fully that she wouldn't be able to be with him. Let your heart heal before you try to jump into another relationship with someone, this keeps you from being hurt again and hurting the other person. I could go on about this but I won't. The other thing that bothered me was Adrian's family was being nice to Rose, including Tatiana. This didn't sit well with me, I almost feel as though Rose is being set up. I wouldn't have been rude, but I wouldn't let my guard down either. Also, with everyone being nice how did this not raise a number of red flags with Rose? The last thing that bugged me, I mentioned before, is the big issue for the book was "over" half way through the book, because of this I knew something big had to happen to be able to fill a second book. This thing had to be something other than Dimitri being a Strigoi. So I wasn't surprised when that big event was revealed.

I'm still a big fan of this series and I really look forward to reading Bloodlines down the way. I didn't realize that its been 5 years since this book came out, I was genuinely baffled when I saw that. I do recommend this book to readers of all ages, and not just teens. I will put a warning out for younger readers, there are a couple of heated scenes but they don't go far at all. This is my personal copy, I rescued it from my library on one of their book sale days. I did have problems with Spirit Bound but I still very much enjoyed reading it. I do plan to read the last book eventually but I will not start Bloodlines until I do, so that should lit a fire under me to get on it.....sometime in the future.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

Page Count: 489 pages (hardcover)

Price: $17.99 (I got this book for less than $0.10)

Next: March & April Book Haul

Thanks for reading!
~Jade

No comments:

Post a Comment