Sunday, May 4, 2014

Soulbound by Heather Brewer

Soulbound is the first book in the Legacy of Tril. There will be a second book, but it is going to be released as a ebook in the US. There is no talk yet of it being an actual book-book, but I am going to keep my fingers crossed because I do not own anything for ebooks, sadly. The release time is Fall 2015, so it is not too far away for those of you who are waiting. I hope everyone enjoys!

In Tril there are Barrons, Healers, and Unskilled. Barrons and Healers are bound together, for both are born at the same exact time. Healers do exactly as they are named, heal, and Barrons are to fight. Kaya isn't to keen on this idea, with being a Healer. She wants to be able to protect herself and anyone else who needs it. She is demanded to come to the Shadow Academy where it is against Protocol for Healers to fight, so in secret she learns. There is a war going on against the Graplar King, a man who uses the Graplars to kill. The poor Unskilled have no clue as to what is going on around them.

I have so many feels for Kaya, she is sixteen and has the weight of the world on her shoulders. She handles everything pretty well for her age and I applaud that. Being sucked in from page one I devoured this book to say the least. For being a 'Teen' book, it was a pretty damn good one. Brewer does not give too much detail as to body build, facial structure, height, and things of this nature. Of course you know that people (Barrons) are going to be pretty fit because they are training to fight, and have been for a good portion of their life. I do and don't like this. I like it because it leaves more up to the imagination, and the reader gets to have their own input in the story. There are some details put in just not a lot. I will say why I don't like this later on as usual. There is a bit of romance between Kaya and Trayton, the guy that she gets bound to not too long after entering Shadow Academy. Life there isn't too great for Kaya and the bits of romance help to calm things after you get ticked off right along side Kaya, because of people at Shadow Academy. For me there really wasn't a dull moment, something was always happening or being hinted toward. A lot of it wasn't crazy fast paced, which helped out because I didn't feel overwhelmed with everything going on. I know before I have said that I didn't like this but with Soulbound it balanced out nicely. You expect things to always be happening because of the war with the Graplar King, and the lurking Graplars. Soulbound isn't too predictable, but there are a few things that you may or may not guess some details to. Something else that I loved but by far not the last is the insert about Brewer at the end. "She was inspired by her daughter to write the Legacy of Tril series because the world needs more girls who can stand up for themselves always and kick some butt when necessary." I whole heartedly agree with this, because when necessary I believe that women should stand up for themselves and what they believe in.

As to why I don't like the lack of detail is because I like to picture the characters, and how the authors pictured them or described them. Now I am not too upset about this, to the point that it ruined my view of the book. I just had to get used to it after having every other book describe everything for me. Per usual I am miffed about the ending because it is the biggest cliff hanger and realization for three characters. I didn't see it coming though I thought something like it would happen. *SPOILER-ALERT* Kaya was told that her Soulbound Barron had perished, straight away you know that maybe that isn't true from the way that it is told to her. And the ending lets you know the truth for that but not why. *SPOILER-ENDED* I don't have anything else that I didn't like, I really enjoyed this book through and through.

Definitely do I recommend this to everyone, not just teens. There is so much more to this book, and I really enjoyed reading it. Brewer has a way of telling a story that really does draw you in. I want to own this book and any other books that may follow it. I can definitely see myself reading it over a few times and not getting bored with it. I will say that with the second book being published by a different company I am hoping that not too many things change. I do know sometimes an author has to change their original plans for their books once one company has published one book under their name, and another is going to pick up the rest of the books. Once there is a specific release date I will be sure to say something SO LONG as there are other books that I want to review coming out. Otherwise I will make a quick note in a review to come, so be sure to look out for that.

Rating: 5 out of 5

Page Count: 394 (hardcover)

Price: $17.99

Next Book: Zom-B Baby by Darren Shan

Thank you so much for reading!
~Jade

No comments:

Post a Comment