Saturday, May 31, 2014

The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

I know, I said OCD Love Story would be the next review up, but this book had to go back to my library sooner than expected. I have seen the movie and it was what prompted me to pick up and read the book. I am not going to be comparing the book to the movie now, but if people want me to and say as much, I will. This is the first book in the Mortal Instruments series, I do plan on reading the series when I can. So here is this review, and I hope you enjoy!

Think it was going to be just another day, Clary Fray witnesses a murder in a local club. The people committing the murder are just teens themselves and they have these weird markings on them. They are the Shadowhunters and they are warriors who rid the world of demons. Jace is the magnificent, blond of the group and no more than a day later Clary is in his world. To top it off her mother disappears and Clary is attacked numerous times. Clary is a mundane and has the Sight, the Shadowhunters are unsure of what to make of this. Hopefully it all pans out for itself, and for the good.

I finished this book, in about a day and a half. I am kicking myself for not reading this either when it got popular or when it caught my eye a few years back. Clary, Jace, Magnus, and Simon are my favorite characters by far, mainly Simon and Jace for their witty sarcasm and dry humor. City of Bones was fast paced and sometimes I got caught up in it and other times I was fine. I almost feel as though if it weren't so fast paced it would have been too wordy for my likings. The surprises aren't too crazy but hinted toward in a fashion that you know something is going to happen because of it. *SPOILER-ALERT* Not too sure how I feel about the whole brother-sister action in the book but hey, that may just be another twist in the series. *SPOILER-ENDED* I like that things were explained in a way that was as short as possible but held all the necessary details to get the readers through the book. I laughed a lot as well while reading, and I wasn't expecting that. I was expecting things to be more serious and I am really glad that it wasn't. I am also glad that this book isn't vampire based. There are vampires in it but there is other folklore that comes into play and it works for this book. This isn't a smaller book, this is a slightly bigger book and it is another nice change I have been reading books that are on the smaller side.

As for things I didn't like, one was mentioned in the spoiler part. I have a feeling it is all a bunch of lies but there is something that someone said that stops me from pushing it aside. The action in this book is another thing. Yes I said that I liked it but at the same time if it weren't for the humor in the parts that aren't full of action, I wouldn't have liked it. I did get confused in a few parts, I'm not too sure if it was the way that the passage was worded or what, but it didn't trip me up too bad. Hopefully this series doesn't disappoint in the end.

I devoured this book in a day and a half and if that doesn't show you that I liked it, I don't know what will. For a 'teen' book, I think people of all ages would enjoy this. It just feels right to me, and I think I might like this series a lot (at least I am hoping). I definitely recommend this book to everyone who has either looked at it, considered it, or anything. I would love to own this book one day and maybe I will. As usual when I can get my hands on the second book I will read and review it.

Rating: 5 out of 5.

Page Count: 485 pages (paperback)

Price: $10.99

Next Book: OCD Love Story by Corey Ann Haydu

Thank you for reading!
~Jade

No comments:

Post a Comment