Monday, July 21, 2014

Nevermore by Kelly Creagh

Part of Creagh's Nevermore series, there's a second book already out and a third planned for about July 2015. I don't know how many books are going to be in this particular series, yet. You hopefully know the spiel by now, I will try my best to do reviews of the other books, when I can. I hope you enjoy!

Isobel, is a cheerleader. Varen is goth. The unlikely match is paired together to work on an English project. Varen makes it perfectly clear that he doesn't want anything to do with Isobel, just as much as she doesn't want anything to do with him. It isn't long after that things get complicated, as usual. Isobel finds herself drawn to Varen, and making excuses to be with him more often. Away from her friends and overbearing boyfriend and to the dream world that is Varen. Isobel finds out that dreams hold a lot more power than what people think they do. Varen needs help and Isobel hopes that she has what it takes to pull him out of the madness that is pulling him down.

Four years ago Nevermore was published. Four years ago I was in tenth grade, being assigned an English project based on my choosing of an American author. I, like Varen, chose Edgar Allen Poe. I love Poe and think he is brilliant, so when I read that he would be mentioned in the book I was interested. What I wasn't expecting was Nevermore to be laced with Poe throughout its pages. For Varen's dreams to be Poe's work brought to life is cool and disturbing all at once. From start to finish I was enraptured by Nevermore, does it have anything to do with Poe being in it? Probably. Creagh did an amazing job all around with this book, details and scenes came to life for me. I like that this POV isn't coming from a "outcast", it's coming from a popular cheerleader. There is a touch of romance but it really doesn't blossom until towards the end. Speaking of the end, it was a nice ending but left me excited for the next book.

I wanted more, and that is my only complaint. I wanted so much more once I reached the end. I didn't see the second book at my library, so I am not sure when I will be able to review it. I highly recommend this book to Poe lovers, and anyone in general. I would absolutely reread Nevermore again, and I want to one day own it. Sorry that this review is a little shorter but I didn't want to give everything away about Nevermore.

Rating: 5 out of 5.

Page Count: 543 pages (paperback)

Price: $9.99

Next Book: The Fangover by Erin McCarthy and Kathy Love

Thanks for reading!
~Jade

No comments:

Post a Comment