Wednesday, July 30, 2014

The Fangover by Erin McCarthy and Kathy Love

First up in this duology, The Fangover is a spoof of sorts, of the movie The Hangover. I do have the second book and I will have a review of that up when I am able. There isn't any talk of anymore books for this duology, but you never know.

Vampire and rock-god Johnny Malone commits suicide, and the rest of his band, The Impalers, do what they would do when any good friend dies. They celebrate his life with a wake, and send him off in style. Though blood, alcohol, and grief are some combination for everyone. Stella, Johnny's sister, takes the news hard and ends up in the arms of Wyatt, the bass player. The rumble in the sheets was great but Stella doesn't want a relationship especially with her brother dying so soon. She ends up stuck as a bat after the wake and can't change back. No one can help her either because no one remembers the night before. This doesn't help Cort either, who wakes up with a ring on his finger and married to the newly turned Katie. He just doesn't remember any of it, like his friends. Off to Bourbon Street they go in search of clues as to what happened.

McCarthy and Love put their own spin on this book and I loved it. Having seen The Hangover I can see the parallels between the two but I do like The Fangover a little more. I loved all the characters in the book even the ones who didn't get that big of a spot light. I laughed quite a few times, which is always nice. I liked how the story went in general, things didn't get too out of line with the plot, so I didn't get confused at all. The characters  are what made this book for me. All of them where different in their own ways, and it was funny to see what a few of them were going to do. The ending was my favorite part, when you learn a few key facts.

I am indifferent about how I knew pretty much what had happened from the beginning. It isn't something I am upset about because I was kept interested and wanted to know why things went the way they did, and who played what role. I think that even if you have seen The Hangover or not you would have been able to figure out certain things. Things I would love to elaborate on but would give away the whole book. I do wonder about the second book though, and if McCarthy and Love are going to stick to the same plot or not.

Overall I would say that I did enjoy The Fangover very much. I do see myself rereading this book, just probably later in the future. I recommend this to anyone who wants to read it, though I will caution parents, there is sex. The characters are my favorite part of the book and it was a nice non-complicated read. It's perfect for that bit of comedy that you might need after reading other serious material.

Rating: 5 out of 5.

Page Count: 298 pages (paperback)

Price: $15

**Next Book: Fangs for Nothing by Erin McCarthy and Kathy Love

Thanks for reading!
~Jade

**There will be no July book haul going up, but August will have one (if all goes according to plan).

No comments:

Post a Comment