Sunday, July 13, 2014

The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson

First in the Jenna Fox Chronicles by Pearson there are three other books and a short story to be tagged along with this one. I don't know if I will be able to do reviews for the other books because not a single library close enough to me has them. Though when I can I will review the books.

Seventeen-year-old Jenna has woken up from a year long coma, and doesn't remember a thing. Jenna is still recovering from the accident that made her that way, her parents show her videos of her life and she can't recollect any memories. Is she really that girl? Slowly Jenna remembers things, but the more that she remembers, the more questions she has. Questions that no one wants to answer. But why? A glimpse into a possible future makes you wonder if we might be heading that way one day.

Not a typical book I would read, but I do love sci-fi genres more then what you might expect. It's just a matter of finding one that interests me. I couldn't help but pick up Adoration once finding out that it deals with bio-med ethics and humanity. I liked the beginning and most of the middle of this book, but after a while it got very dull. The few friends that Jenna makes once out of the coma, play a big role in her life. You have to read between the lines a bit to see what each one might do. Pearson does very well at describing things, drawing in and keeping my attention for the most part, and the creativity as well for Adoration was great. I like to think about what things might be like in the future and this book puts a nice spin on what may or may not happen, especially with medical advances. Out of all the characters I would say that Jenna's other two friends-Kara and Locke, and Mr. Bender are my favorites. I also enjoyed the ending of Adoration a lot, though it makes me wonder what is going to happen with the rest of the books. I love how Pearson didn't stick with the run of the mill chapters for the book, it made it a little more pizazz to the reading.

One thing I have to complain about is what I mentioned before. About half way into the book I didn't care to know fully what happened to Jenna. I figured things would either go bad (not as likely), or go good (more than likely). I wasn't too happy about this because my attention was unwavering till that point. Yes, there were still things that needed to be answered but I would have been perfectly okay not knowing everything. I was more disappointed with this because I had higher hopes for it, since it was a more sci-fi based book.

Though I was let down a little more than half way through the book, I would still recommend this. You never know, what you might not have loved someone else may love from cover to cover. As for wanting to own Adoration, I want to see how the rest of the books go before deciding that. Even with being disappointed I believe The Adoration of Jenna Fox was still a really good book. The sci-fi was really refreshing because I get stuck on one genre for a while sometimes. Adoration is also considered a 'teen' book, but for other fellow sci-fi lovers, that are adults, I think you could get into this book. It's not super simple but it isn't complex either.

Rating: 4 out of 5.

Page Count: 266 pages (hardcover)

Price: $16.95

Next Book: Nevermore by Kelly Creagh

Thanks for reading!
~Jade

P.S. Don't forget that The Strain is premiering today on FX!

No comments:

Post a Comment