Friday, December 26, 2014

Iron King by Julie Kagawa

I've been doing a lot of firsts lately. Iron King is the first book in the Iron Fey series by Kagawa. It was published back in 2010, I don't remember any hype with this book and I am wondering why there wasn't. It really deserved some sort of acknowledgment, then again maybe it did. I really am never up on the trends, but I don't mind.

Meghan's life has always been just slightly off. There's a secret about her that she doesn't even know. Her father disappeared right in front of her when she was six. She doesn't fit in at school and not really at home either. A dark stranger starts watching her from a distance, and her friend Robbie begins to get weirdly protective of her. Everything's about to change and Meghan sort of knows it. Though when things do change, she couldn't begin to imagine the whole of it. She's the daughter of a fairy king, and just one of the pawns in a war. Through many trials she learns that she will go as far as she can just to save someone dear to her, stop a evil that no one else dares to face, and possibly find love in someone who would probably rather see her dead.

I don't know where to begin...I love this book. I love fairies, mythical creatures, and everything that comes with it. The good and the bad. I love the characters, especially Gimalkin, Ethan reminds me of my nephew at that age so I took an immediate liking to him. Ash and Robbie/Puck took a little warming up to, but for the most part I like them. Robbie/Puck made me laugh on a number of occasions, but I did think he should have known better with a few incidences. *SPOILER-ALERT* Practically right away I knew that Meghan and Ash would end up liking each other in the end. Robbie/Puck is too much of a protector to really be a love interest.*SPOILER-ENDED* Meghan I found to be a little annoying at times, but I think that is more or less from everything that kept getting thrown her way. While reading I got a sense of Alice In Wonderland practically all the time. I believe it was even mentioned once. Which I don't have a problem with, I love Alice In Wonderland. This book also reminded me of the young adult friendly version of Karen Marie Moning's Fever series, with the Unseelie and the Seelie courts. Along with other similar connections. Also Shakespeare's A Midnight Summers Dream came into play all throughout the book, which I love Shakespeare so I was happy to read the connections.

As for what I didn't like, it was literally one thing after another. The group would take one step forward and five steps back. I understand that things have to be kept interesting for the reader, but I got really annoyed with this. With smaller things constantly happening, no real action happened until the end and even then it was over in a few pages. Yes, there where lots of little "battles" but the real main action was done and over in a blink, and quite simply too. I was really let down by this. I was expecting this big fight because the Iron King was played up to be this big bad guy and in the end it was a simple wham-bam done. I was kept interested, but after a while I kept reading to see if anything would be done by the end of the book. I really hope that things get better in the next book.

Despite the constant one thing after another, Iron King wasn't that bad of a book. I don't know if someone who doesn't like fairies as much as I do would say the same though. If it weren't for the characters I don't know if I would have finished it, they really made this book for me. I do recommend it, if you can deal with everything I ranted about, then read it. It's far from a bad book, it just could have been better in a way. I would like to own this book, but I think I will read the rest of the series to figure out if I want the whole thing or just certain books.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5.

Page Count: 363 pages (paperback)

Price: $9.99

Next: December Book Haul

Thanks for reading! Happy holidays!
~Jade

No comments:

Post a Comment