Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Wake by Lisa McMann

The first book in the Wake trilogy, and I wonder where the hype for it is? Or maybe I missed it? I am going to go with I missed the hype, because that's usually how it happens. I've had my eye on this trilogy for a little while now, and I have never been able to get the first book until now. I was warned by someone who has read these books to read them in order if I really don't want to spoil anything. I took the warning and I am glad I did. I hope you enjoy.

Seventeen-year old Janie has a lot on her plate, and being sucking into other people dreams isn't helping any. She's getting tired of it, and sadly has no one to talk to about it because honestly who wouldn't think she was crazy if they knew about it? She can't control it either and it doesn't matter what time of day it is, if someone is dreaming around her she is getting pulled into it. But the dream of a kid named Cabel, is different. He dreams of killing someone, but he also dreams of her.

To say I devoured this book is an understatement. I began reading at about 1AM and was half way through by 3:30AM. I slept, woke up, and read the rest of the book in just a hour and a half more. It was a very quick read for me but I think that has to do with how fast paced it was, for the most part. The pace did slow but never for very long, which I loved. It fit the book perfectly. In the POV of Janie, I find that she was very relatable, which is nice for a reader. Anyone who wasn't very privileged, had to work for their things, and almost an outcast could really relate to Janie. I feel if I can't 'connect' with one of the main characters, the book isn't that enjoyable. Unless the author does something amazing. I don't even know how to explain Cabel, he seems like a bad boy but that's just too stereotypical for him. *SPOILER-ALERT* I did not see him working under cover as a agent at his age coming. I had to read a couple of pages over just to be sure. Though in the end it made sense why and how he came to be in that position. *SPOILER-ENDED* I have never read a book before where a character has been drawn into anyone and everyone's dreams, so long as they are in close enough proximity, and awake. It was what drew me in in the first place when I picked it up a while ago, and read the back cover. I got annoyed with Janie and Cabel in the beginning and kept yelling at the book. It was good yelling, and I was cracking myself up.

Quite honestly I don't have any real complaints about Wake. I was upset by how fast I read it, and how small the book is compared to some of the other books I have read. I have a feeling that unless Ms. McMann makes some stereotypical moves for the next two book, I may just love them as well. Even with the shortness.

I loved this book to say the least. It is a great relaxed read for adults. I made my mom read it once I was done with Wake and she really liked it as well. I recommend this book to everyone of all ages, I personally don't see a problem with someone in 8th grade reading this. There are a couple of spots where Janie gets sucked into a sexual dream but even then it isn't nearly as bad as it could have been. I think I could reread Wake a few times before I would get tired of it. I don't own the book but I surely want to one day, as for the rest of the trilogy, that remains to be seen.

Rating: 5 out of 5.

Page Count: 210 (paperback)

Price: $9.99

Next Book: Iron King by Julie Kagawa

Thanks for reading!
~Jade

No comments:

Post a Comment