Friday, March 7, 2014

Alice in Zombieland by Gena Showalter

This book is the first book in what Showalter calls The White Rabbit Chronicles. The second book is set to come out in October of 2013, so just a few months away. Oh and I  <3 Zombies :D

Obviously this is a spin off from Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll. Alice Bell, who likes to be called Ali, gets her whole life turned upside down. Not to mention she starts to fight zombies not soon after that. Things never seemed so messed up for her.

I really liked what Showalter did with this book. I honestly am looking forward to reading the next book. With that being said, this is almost nothing like Lewis Carroll's book. It is set in present day and there is no "rabbit hole". If one reads carefully they can make all the connections from Showalter's book to Carroll's book. I also liked the characters in the book, I fell in love will almost all of them. I loved that this was not a book that had the minimal changes to it so it wouldn't be flagged as plagiarism. I loved the new spin on zombies *SPOILER-ALERT* only special people can see them and only those special people could fight them. It was all on the spiritual realm so they fought with their spirits. Loved this.*SPOILER-ENDED* The while rabbit is incorporated in the book but the reader has to guess what is meant by it.

What I didn't like was that it was sad in the beginning. I did not like the sadness. *SPOILER-ALERT* Alice's immediate family dies and the dad ends up as a zombie, but a good one he tries to save her and not eat her.*SPOILER-ENDED* I did and did not like the new spin on zombies. I didn't like that they could only come out in the night, but it made sense after I finished the book.

Over all I really liked this book, and would definitely would recommend it. It was a bittersweet read, but ended on a nice soothing note. Would I buy this book if I saw it on the shelf? Yes, yes I would. I plan on it actually once I get some money.

Rating: 5 out of 5

Page Count: 404 pages

Price: $18.99 (hardcover)

Next Book: Eternal A collection of 6 short stories about vampires. (This should be fun to review)

Thanks for reading!
~Jade

No comments:

Post a Comment