Friday, March 7, 2014

Carrie by Stephen King

I am going to say right away that I am not a big King fan, but that does not mean that I will bash on everything that he did while writing.

Carrie is about a teenage girl who is bullied, and she has telekinetic powers. Those telekinetic powers prove to be fatal one night, when Carrie is pushed too far.

What I liked about King's book is that it kept me engaged and wanting to know what came next. I also like how King tries to put some sort of Bob Dylan lyrics in the work, though this is the first book that I have read that had a Shakespearian reference to it. I also liked the fact that this book wasn't as drawn out and wordy like some of King's other books. I also liked how King controlled when he took the book to another person's point of view. I also liked that the reader was *SPOILER-ALERT* reading bits of other reports/books that was set after everything happened and everyone was dead. *SPOILER-ENDED* Though those little things did spoil things on its own that happened later on in the book that you didn't know about unless you have seen one of the couple of movies that have been made.

I didn't like the way that King choose to represent people's thoughts in the text. It was in parenthesis and all lower case, with no punctuation. It bugged me but then again I got used to it after it happening a few times. The only part that I thought that was actually wordy was when it came to *SPOILER-ALERT* Carrie killing everyone, *SPOILER-ENDED* but I did enjoy reading how he explained things. Simply because he explains death differently in the few books that I have read by King. I also really disliked Carrie's mother, which I am sure is what King wanted.

Carrie is a quick read, though wordy at times. I did enjoy reading this book, but I usually don't pick up a Stephen King book unless I have seen some part of a movie. I don't know why, but that is me. Would I buy this book if I came across it in the store? Probably not, unless it was for a really great price.

Rating: High 3.5 of 5.

Page count: 253 pages.

Price: $7.99 (paperback)

Next book: Alice in Zombieland by Gena Showalter

Thanks for reading!
~Jade

No comments:

Post a Comment