Friday, March 7, 2014

Styxx by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Sorry that I haven't blogged in a month, I have been super busy but I haven't forgot about anyone who reads my blog! I will do a reminder though about how I do my 'reviews'. Since Styxx is recently released and people will be looking for reviews on this book, I will say that I am a different kind of book reviewer. I give a summary, then I go into what I liked and disliked about the book. I do put spoiler alerts around things that I consider a spoiler. Then I do my usual ending to a review. So I hope you enjoy the review and thank you for reading! This is the twenty-third book in the Dark-Hunter series, depending on what books you count apart of the series and what ones you don't.

We read all about Acheron, now it is time for us to know Styxx's story. Things are not what they seem especially when someone is in a biased state. People can hide things, people can change. Just like Styxx, Bethany needs to right some wrongs. But Styxx in the end has to choose between the woman that he loves and his brother. Things never dull down for anyone in this book, and just when it seems things do calm down, it is just the opposite.

Styxx has been a long awaited book for anyone who loves the Dark-Hunter series. Some want to know if he really is as bad as everyone has made him out to be. All I can say is that part of me know that Kenyon wouldn't make him that bad, but another part of me was wondering if she would make Styxx that way. I am glad though that Kenyon did make Styxx good. I loved that we were able to see just how much Styxx didn't have it easy. Basically the whole book is placed back before present time. I loved that we are shown Styxx's softer side and how he can, unlike what other people in the series, show his feelings and feel something. I love how when I was reading Styxx I couldn't put down the book, over 800 pages, and I just couldn't stop till I finished. Another thing I like is that with this book being so big I would be able to read it over and over and find something new every time that I read it.  I also love how so many people in the book grow. There are so many secrets that are hinted toward and spilled I will not do any spoilers for that! I refuse to do any spoilers for the secrets. I am happy that this book wasn't like Kenyon's other books, in the run-of-the-mill category for me.

To keep on the secrets deal one big secret is hinted toward but not given up and it drove me up the wall. Another thing that I didn't like was that the book was set mainly in the past and once the speed up came along everything that needed to happen almost happened in a rush at the end. I do understand that Kenyon wanted to show more about Styxx in the past, but I wanted to know what happened more in the skipping ahead of dates (chapters for the book).*SEMI-SPOILER-ALERT* The main thing that I did not like (but completely know that it was necessary) was the brutality in which Styxx suffered. It was horrible and had me cringing and just glad that Kenyon didn't go into great detail when it happened. *SEMI-SPOILER-ALERT-ENDED* Other then those three things I didn't really have anything other to not be happy about with the book.

After reading this monster of a book (and I mean that in a good way) I really felt that emptiness that hardcore readers get when they finish a book. I laughed, I cringed, and at some points I just wanted to put the book down because of the brutality. Though in the end I was very happy with the book and I would not hesitate to reread it. I do own this book, I got it from Premier Collectables. I do recommend this book to whomever can handle a book that is not all cute bunnies and puppies. Kenyon is one of my favorite authors, and I can't wait to read more from her.

Rating: 5 out of 5.

Page Count: 836 pages (hardcover)

Price: I paid $41.03 for hardcover, leather bound signed, and shipped on the ground from Premier Collectables.

Thanks for reading!
~Jade

No comments:

Post a Comment