Friday, March 7, 2014

Fever 1793 by Laurie Halse Anderson

I'm going to say this right upfront but this is a great book for kids in middle school. That was when I read it, if not fifth grade, and I loved it right away. It has been years since I read it last, besides right now. So here we go!

Obviously from the title this is set back in 1793. Mattie, a young girl growing up in Philadelphia lives with her widowed mother and grandfather. Mattie helps her mother in the coffeehouse that they own. But then Yellow Fever breaks out and brings the city to a standstill. Beginning the book as a child, by time the end rolls through she is a young woman.

I fell in love with this book when I was younger simply because it wasn't too easy to read, yet not too hard. I love this book because it is not centered around a romance even though peril is happening. Mattie is easy to relate to when it comes to a young person and having responsibilities around the house. I like that there is a short time span and it makes it fast moving. The reader can fall in love with the characters pretty easily and *SPOILER-ALERT* feel heart break when the grandfather dies horribly and Mattie is left alone. *SPOILER-ENDED* But that is a part of Mattie growing up, and learning that sometimes you have to make your own decisions. I liked the ending as well, it gives you a sense of hope that everything will be alright for Mattie in life.

What I didn't like was the short time span and how fast paced it was. I know I just said that I liked it. Don't get me wrong I do like at the same time. In the short time span so much happens it is almost overwhelming. But it makes it so that there really are not any dull moments, which is good. I didn't like the sad parts like *SPOILER-ALERT* when Mattie's grandfather dies, the three kids get sick, the mother gets sick and you almost think that she is dead as well.*SPOILER-ENDED* But in the end it is bittersweet. I didn't like how predictable it was but once again it is for younger kids.

This is a excellent book for younger kids. It is an easy read for older people as well. I would love to own this book. It is one of the many that I could read over and over again with no problem. I wish there was almost a series to it, at least up until Mattie dies of old age. But that would take the ambiance from the ending that it already has. I would recommend this book to people if they do not mind that it is for younger kids.

Rating: 5 out of 5.

Page Count: 251 pages (including the Appendix from page 244-251).

Price: $5.99 (paperback)

Next Book: Boys That Bite by Mari Mancusi

Thanks for reading!
~Jade

No comments:

Post a Comment