Friday, March 7, 2014

Through the Zombie Glass by Gena Showalter

Now I know in my last review I said I was going to be reviewing Days of Blood & Starlight next but, my library got Through the Zombie Glass borrowed from a fellow library and I had to read it. I will be doing the next review on Days of Blood & Starlight by Laini Taylor for sure. I do have the first book in this trilogy reviewed, feel free to check it out.

In the second book in the White Rabbit Chronicles Alice Bell has not a dull moment. She thinks that she has lost everything that she can. She finds out that she is wrong. A zombie attack goes awry and things start to go down hill from there. Mirrors come to life, and whispers of the undead come to Ali. But there is more. Darkness takes root in Ali and makes her want to do terrible things. In this time, Ali needs her slayer family more then ever. Her boyfriend, and the leader of the slayers, the hunk Cole Holland basically drops everyone, including Ali. Thankfully her best friend Kat sticks by her side while Ali must kill zombies, find out Cole's secret, and figure out how to fight the darkness within her. If anything goes wrong, they're all screwed.

I couldn't put this book down. If I had time I was reading, and nothing else. I didn't want to sleep, I just wanted to devour this book. On top of being very interesting and not losing your attention there was a good amount of calmer times and action times in the book. The calm times weren't so calm that I wanted to stop reading and I lost interest, they had some action but nothing that I felt deterred from the plot. Ali, Cole, and Kat are my favorite characters still, though I do take issue with Cole in this book. Kat is still that best friend that everyone should have even when everything seems hopeless she's that person you would turn to to make you smile. I love that Ali gains a whole new family even though they aren't blood related. I love that there are still problems with the Anima, but there are new problems as well to keep the book that much more balanced. I laughed quite a number of things from Ali, Kat, Cole, Frosty, and Gavin (new character!).

As always I also have some things to say that I didn't like. Now I normally don't do this but, I have quite a few things that I didn't like, but (for me) they didn't take away too much from me actually wanting to finish this book obviously. And as a note these things that I didn't like could just simply be because this book is for Young Adults, I have a higher reading level and am considered an "adult". For starters, there were quite a few times when I knew exactly what was going to happen, when, how, and with who. That doesn't happen often. Now if this was intentional on Showalter's part then I salute her, she did it perfectly. One of these things that I saw coming is a trend that comes from a lot of series. And that trend is the main characters who are in a relationship in the first book, end up breaking up in the second or third book. Obviously from either reading the summary I provided or finding the actual one you can tell that they break up. I was disappointed that this trend was followed. Then the other things that I found predictable is how Ali is cured, what happens with Kat, Frosty, Cole and a few others, why Cole, and Ethan are doing the things they are doing, and how things are going to end. A good portion of this book was predictable for me but I loved it nonetheless.

I loved this second book in the White Rabbit Chronicles. From the way Showalter ends it, there could be a third book, but if following in Lewis Carol's fashion this could quite possibly be the last book. I do want to own these two books one day. I do see myself rereading these. Showalter is an excellent young adult novelist, along with adult novelist. I completely recommend these books to anyone and everyone, fully knowing that someone else may not like them like I do. Other then the predictability I still very much loved this book, as I have said a number of times now.

Rating: 5 out of 5.

Page Count: 476 pages (hardcover).

Price: $18.99.

Next Book: Days of Blood & Starlight by Laini Taylor.

Thank you so much for reading!
~Jade

No comments:

Post a Comment