Friday, March 7, 2014

Born of Night by Sherrilyn Kenyon

This is the first book in Kenyon's League series. I have read this book before I just really wanted to reread it. I will state once more that I am a huge fan of Kenyon's, but I will keep this unbiased and give my true thoughts on the book. That being said I hope you enjoy this review.

Nykyrian is the ultimate warrior. Trained by the League he has turned against them and left. He has been hunted by many because of this but no one has been able to kill him. His latest mission is to protect Kiara Zamir. Her father's political stance has made her a target, thus making her put her life in the hands of the same type of person that had killed her mother years ago, and threatened her life as well. Neither is too happy with being put in this situation, trust is not something that comes easy for either of them.

Having already read this book and quite a few others in the series, I will try not to drop any hints toward what is going to happen later. Nykyrian is a character that I grew to love as the book went on. He was one of those characters that drove you crazy because he is so stubborn and won't take what is being given to him. Obviously him and Kiara are the ones who hook up in the book. Kiara is the perfect counterpart for Nyk. He is hard, lethal and an overall bad ass, where as Kiara is graceful, compassionate, and loving. Both are stubborn, and not willing to be a pushover. Though I do want to see Kenyon put two characters who are not as compatible together. I like how Kenyon didn't let there be a dull moment in the book, there was something always going and always some complication coming up until the very end. I liked how Kenyon didn't come out and tell everything about this League there are still a few questions that are unanswered that I am sure will be confronted in other books. The League could be compared slightly to the military as we know, but at the same time it really isn't because of the brutality that the 'soldiers' take. I also love that Kenyon didn't stick to Earth. This series is going to take place, in space and on different planets. So I would say that this book is a Sci-Fi and future related book. It is really nice that Kenyon didn't stick to Earth and changed a lot of things that would take me a really long time to type out.

There are a few things that I didn't like about this book, and they were that this almost seems like a Dark-Hunter rerun just different plots and characters. Hopefully this will pan out differently in the other books. Also Nykyrian's past is not pretty in any way. I was cringing a few times just from a few details. I know I said before that the nonstop action in this book was a good thing, it was also a little annoying. I wanted just a little more of calmness before the next big thing popped up and needed to be killed. Though after reading this book I have a feeling that it is going to be necessary because that is the nature of the characters. They are not people who are able to relax, they are wanted for various things and so that makes their life very hectic. I don't like the brutality that these characters are going through though, and when Nyk talks about his coworkers you know as a reader that no one is going to have it easy in this series.

Even with all the things taken into consideration I still really enjoyed reading this book. I am expecting things to not be pretty for characters in the coming books. With that being said and with my already having read a good portion of this series, I am going to warn readers. If you do not like for the characters to have a hard, brutal, background that will have you cringing from small details, you may not want to read this series. But if you read Keyon's books Acheron, and Styxx without a problem then you should be able to read this series without a big deal. There is my warning. Everyone is different. Like I said I am really hoping that this series won't become a run of the mill series for the plot. If it does I will say so.

Rating: 4.5 out of 5.

Page Count: 539 pages (paperback).

Price: $7.99

Next Book:Zom-B Angels by Darren Shan.

Thanks for reading!
~Jade

No comments:

Post a Comment