Friday, March 7, 2014

Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor

This is the first book in the possible trilogy to come. There are two books out already (including this one) and I have been hearing that a third is on its way in April 2014, but I have not heard or read anything official. Another thing is that when I type up a summary I read over the one that is given on the book. With Daughter of Smoke & Bone there is none. So I have created one of my own based on what I have read in the book.

All over the world black handprints are being burned onto doors. Teeth are growing hauntingly low in a demons shop. And in Prague, a girl is about to find a war on her doorstep. A war that isn't dealing with humans. Karou is a blue haired. tattooed, multilingual girl who runs errands for a demon. The blue hair grows in that way, and everything that she draws in her sketch book may be true. Fostered by a chimaera she has not a clue who she really is. Soon though she finds out when a fiery eyed seraph named Akiva crosses her path.

Karou is a character I fell in love with the moment I opened the book, and her best friend. Brimstone is Karou's foster father and he is one that you learn to love. I couldn't stop reading this book every chance that I got I was reading it. Though I was really confused when I first started reading, everything caught my attention and kept it. Karou though travels through door that lead from the chimaera world and the human world. She gathers teeth for Brimstone, from others. When I read this in the book it reminded me of Howl's Moving Castle, the door in the house. I love when Taylor describes the chimaera they are really neat to picture in your head. I love the setting, I love the characters, I loved a lot about the book and I don't want to give anything away.

Along with liking a lot I dislike very little. I got confused with what was going on twice. In the very beginning and at the very end. But once I read through those parts I understood what was going on. One other thing I didn't like is Akiva's background is so small you really don't know what to get from it. Yes it works with the book, I just wanted to know more about Akiva. There really wasn't anything else that I wasn't happy about.

I love so much about this book, and I know what works for me may not work for someone else. I got this book from the 'teen' section of my library but I really recommend this book to people of all ages. There's romance, heartbreak, and hope all through it. I will be reading the second book, the next time I go to the library I will pick it up. I do want to own these book one day if they continue going on.

Rating: 5 out of 5.

Page Count: 418 (paperback)

Price: $9.99

Thanks for reading!
~Jade

Days of Blood & Starlight book two's review!    Dreams of Gods & Monsters book three's review!

No comments:

Post a Comment