Friday, March 7, 2014

Shadowfever by Karen Marie Moning

The fifth and final book in the Fever series or MacKayla Lane series. I do have reviews up for the third and forth book. I am very sad that this series is now at a close.

Mac is consumed with grief and has to find a way to cope. She has a mission to control the Sinsar Dubh, but the book has other plans and starts going after the ones that she loves. Mac faces questions that she doesn't know how to answer and no one around her will give her a straight one. Unsure of who to trust, allies become enemies.

I am going to start out saying how much I grew to love this series, and now I have finished the last book. As I said before, I am sad about this. This book completes the series, with a bow wrapped around it. Mac grows completely into this woman that is kick ass, beautiful, and smart all in one. I love Jericho, and in Shadowfever he is around so much more and Jericho lovers will be pleased with this as well *SPOILER-ALERT* although they will not be happy in the very beginning *SPOILER-ENDED* just remember one thing readers, Jericho is special. I love all the spins that Moning put in this final book. It had me on my toes at all times, guessing and going over the series in my head thinking of clues that she may have dropped before. This also wasn't that great of a thing, I will get into why later on. The explanations that are given about the Silvers, Fae, Unseelie, Seelie, the King, the Queen, the Concubine, and the Sinsar Dubh really ties the series together and makes this book that much better. There really are not any loose ends, it's an ending that you can take however you want to, for now. If Moning brought back Jericho and Mac in her other series (I don't know if she does yet because I haven't started reading any of her two other series) I would be beyond elated. I didn't really like V'lane since the beginning of the series and I find out why. Readers also find out more about Mac, Jericho, and just all around questions that have been floating around since the beginning of the series. *SPOILER-ALERT* In the end, Mac gets her sort of happy ending. Alina doesn't come back from the dead, and it is a good thing because that would have made the ending too perfect. Also I love the hardcover books wrap, it is almost like the Sinsar Dubh in your hands *SPOILER-ENDED* I was happy that not that many people died, or at least all of the characters that I have come to love.

As I was saying earlier there were so many spins in this book, that I was just ready to have the answers, by time I got half way through the book. This is me, other readers may love it, and that is perfectly okay. I liked it but at the same time it annoyed me. I started to roll with it because I didn't want to figure out what the latest turn may come out to be. I like to figure things out, but I got tired of it, like I have been saying. The spins also make it very hard to put the book down, and this isn't a small book. It is six pages away from being a full 600 pages long. I finished this book in two to three days, which is a lot quicker then I would have liked to of finished a book this long. As we readers of this series know, the Sinsar Dubh has to be put back into containment. Obviously this happens and when it does, it wasn't as climatic as I was hoping for. After all was said and done, I was disappointed. After all the other plot twists this was the less crazier one, and I was expecting more. Though I am almost happy that nothing huge happened after everything else that has happened.

Even with the three things that didn't please me with this book, I still really enjoyed reading this book. I would read it over and over again. I would recommend it to others, it's only five books and the fifth book is the longest. Though this is needed, for the most part. I want to own all of these books so I can read them over and over again. I have a feeling that this series, for me, will be one of those no matter how much I read them, every time I do I will find something new about them. There are not short stories that involve Mac or Jericho. Dani does have one book, maybe more to come? And the Highlanders also have a series going.

Rating: 5 out of 5.

Page Count: 594 pages (hardcover)

Price: $26

Thanks for reading!
~Jade

No comments:

Post a Comment