Friday, March 7, 2014

Torment by Lauren Kate

This is the second book in the Fallen series. I did read the first book long before I stated this review blog, but I will one day reread it and do a review on it. *MINIRANT* My library, as much as I love it, has this thing where half of a series will be on the shelf and the other half will be gone, and never in order at that. I will check beforehand on the website that the books are in. Going up there the book will not be on the shelf. After seeing this I go and talk to someone and come to find out if the book is not on the shelf it isn't in the library. Even if the website says it is.....so if I skip around in a series or read the first book, then don't read the next book for quite a while that is the reason why. Annoying, yes. I don't like it but it's the closest library to me. I'm sorry if this bugs anyone, this is just what happens. *MINIRANT-ENDED*

Luce and Daniel have to be apart, as much as they want to be together the distance is needed. Daniel has to hunt down Outcasts-immortals who want to kill Luce. So for the time being Luce gets tucked away at a school in California called Shoreline. A special school for Nephilim, the offspring of fallen angels and humans, to help blend in a bit and get schooled properly. While at this school Luce learns what the Shadows really are, and how they can help her find out about her previous lives. With the more that Luce learns, the more she can't help but feel that Daniel isn't giving her the full picture on what is going on. But what is he not telling her?

Right away the prologue drew me in because here is Cam and Daniel, enemies in the previous book, working together to keep Luce safe. They hint toward a few things quite often and that is what kept me interested in the book. I wanted to know what was going to happen with those hints, and see how Kate unfolded them. There are a few bitter-sweet moments in the book, which helps keep the readers attention at times. I also like a number of the new character introduced, they remind me of a few people in the first book as well. Luce gets those protective friends again, and after a little bit she can feel somewhat okay about being at this new school. I liked that with Daniel being away Luce is able to question all of the aspects of her life, including her past ones. Daniel has been very hush-hush about them and only letting bits and pieces be known to Luce, *SPOILER-ALERT* this puts a little wrinkle in their relationship, and even a new (but small) love interest for Luce comes along at Shoreline.*SPOILER-ENDED* I liked the new threat from the Outcasts, and I loved a few spoken lines at the end of the book. It really makes the reader want to get the next book and see what exactly they meant, and what is going to happen with this new information.

That being said, what handful of things that happened throughout the book are about the most interesting things. I did find myself wanting to skip ahead to parts that were more exciting then what I was reading. Torment is a little on the wordier side, but it isn't as bad as a few other books. Another thing that I wasn't too happy about was in the little insert on the front flap of the book, it is hinted toward Luce being meant for someone else. After reading the book I wasn't quite sure what Kate was trying to get at with that. Was Luce meant to free people? Was Luce meant to love someone else? Was Luce meant to be someone else? All three of these things were hinted toward throughout the book. Maybe this is something that is better explained in the third book. Other then my library literally taking forever to get this book back on the shelf, I don't have anything else to complain about.

For it being a while since I last read the first book, I wasn't really confused as to what was going on. Yes, I did remember a few of the major details like this being a book about angels and humans, and a few fights, and main characters. But if someone else where to start this series on the second book they wouldn't have that hard of a time understanding what is going on. I only had a few things to not like about the book and a whole mess of things to like and love. I do want to own this series as of thus far. That could change as I read the third and fourth book, yes I will do that eventually.

Rating: 3.7 out of 5.

Page Count: 452 pages (hardcover).

Price: $20.99.

Next Book: Days of Blood and Starlight by Laini Taylor

Thanks for reading!
~Jade

No comments:

Post a Comment