Friday, March 7, 2014

World War Z An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks

Yes I have finally finished this book! Now I can get back to doing reviews and not feel bad about having to finish a book while reading/reviewing another book.

Max Brooks decided to do something a little different and place the book after the war against zombies has already taken place. The main character goes all over the world talking to everyone. From government officials down to a regular nobody. We the reader get their stories and their horrors that they went through while they survived the zombie apocalypse. There are still some zombies out there in the world but they aren't as big of a deal now. Every interview is a survival story, and that of a tragedy because of the loses that the person suffers.

There were very few stories that I actually enjoyed reading. I think out of all of them there were only 5 that I got really interested in. Other then that I was just trudging to the end of the book. For me this book was very dry, even for the zombies being in the book. I love zombies, I didn't really love this book, didn't really like it either. Before I get any judgement, I went into this book being told how great and attention gripping it is. Obviously this just wasn't that kind of book for me. Maybe for others it is everything that they wanted and more. I couldn't get into the book even from the first interview. I liked that too about the book, it wasn't a normal the narrator tells the story.

It took me so long to read this book because of it being so dry and not really boring, but my mind was able to wander while I was reading a lot of the time. I almost put down the book and called it quits but I realized I was only 100 pages from the end and buck up and read it. I'm glad it did because at the end there is a chapter called "Good-byes" and in it there are a few smiles able to be given.

If someone asked me what I thought about this book I would say that it is an okay book, but not great. Would I recommend it? Not really, not before warning about it being slow and a little dry. I wouldn't just say negative things about it, but really I found more negative things about it then good. I own this book, I don't think I will be rereading it though, I would gloss over it, but not thoroughly read it again. I know I am not the only one disappointed in the book, but I also know there are people out there who like or even love the book. I am truly happy for them (no sarcasm intended!).

Rating: very low 2 out of 5.

Page Count: 420 pages (paperback)

Price:$9.99

Next Book: Zom-B by Darren Shan

Thanks for reading!
~Jade

No comments:

Post a Comment