Friday, March 7, 2014

No Mercy by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Depending on how you look at it and what books you count to be in what series and what you define as a series, this is the nineteenth book in the Dark-Hunter series. I have done another review for one of Kenyon's books. I plan on doing more, I know Styxx will be one of them as well. I am a huge Kenyon fan but if you have read my review for one of her books, I try as hard as I can not to be biased. There are things that I find wrong, and that I do not like, even with being a huge Kenyon fan. I will warn again that I will probably drop spoilers if you have not read all the books previous to this. If it is an actually spoiler about the book I do put the warnings around it as usual.

Enemies have found a source of power that is new, that allows them to do things that they weren't able to do before. Dev Peltier thought he saw it all, being the bouncer for the door, now he knows better. Teamed up with Amazon Samia, they have to break some rules and hope the consequences won't come back to bite them too hard for it.

Samia (Sam) is my kind of woman, she is hard and not willing to back down. True to her Amazonian history, Sam know how to kick ass. I love all of special abilities that she is able to do since becoming a Dark-Hunter (DH). Dev is one of my favorite quadruplets, he is sarcastic and doesn't take anyone's crap. His love for his family runs deep, and Sam is his perfect counterpart, besides the fact that Sam is a DH and Dev is a shapeshifter. I loved how things went a little different in this book then in some of Kenyon's other books. They have to go on this semi-big adventure and that really kept the book interesting and kept me from thinking, for the most part, that this would be just like all of her other books. I just love Samia's character all around, she's very strong for everything that has happened to her, much like all the other DH's. *SPOILER-ALERT* Obviously Sam and Dev get mated together because of the Fate's being spiteful. Just like Fang and Aimee. Not so predictably Sam decides to stay a DH, but thanks to Savitar all four can have babies. And of course Dev is completely quite when it comes to Sam having psychometry.*SPOILER-ENDED* I love Savitar, in this book, the little appearance that he makes. He shows his more sensitive side and it really made me happy. Small things make me happy in books, this can go the other way too, though.

I did say how the adventure that Dev and Sam (with some friends) have to take keeps the book a little off the run of the mill track. But it doesn't keep it off of that track completely. There are very predictable parts in the book, I mentioned a couple in the spoiler but once some start reading the book they should be able to tell what the predictable parts are. Besides the whole adventure part, there really isn't a huge ending. The book pretty much ends calmly. Which isn't a bad thing, don't get me wrong, but after all the hype created around Sam and her psychometry, I was expecting just a little more. This doesn't mean that the ending was a complete failure, because it wasn't. I enjoyed the ending.

This is a series that I began in about ninth grade, and have continued to read now as I enter my second year in college. Though there are things that I am not too happy with with the books, I overall enjoy reading Kenyon's books. I recommend them to everyone looking for a larger series, but with this recommendation I have a warning, it's for a more mature audience. There are sex details, but nothing super crazy compared to some of the other things I have read. The only other thing is you have to read the books in order if you don't want to give anything away. That being said, I will continue to read Kenyon's books and I will reread them over and over again. I do own this book, and quite a number of her other books. I want to own all of Kenyon's books eventually.

Rating: 4.7 out of 5.

Page Count: 343 pages (hardcover)

Price: $24.99 (but I got it for around $5-6 at Wal-Mart)

Thanks for reading!
~Jade

No comments:

Post a Comment